ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

which Linux version for my laptop

<< < (3/7) > >>

40hz:
You could also try MEPHIS ( http://www.mepis.org ). It's a very user friendly distro with plenty of power. and some of the best hardware detection routines out there. I've had this distro work flawlessly on laptops that Ubuntu had troubles dealing with.

Whatever you do, try a "Live-CD" of the distro you're interested in before you do an actual installation to your hard drive to see how well it handles your hardware. Also take a look at the features and pay particular attention to the the preferred desktop manager (KDE, Gnome, etc.) to see if it works for you.

Also check out: http://www.desktoplinux.com  Lots of good info can be found there.

Welcome to Linux! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

housetier:
Darwin - I also have yet to try xubuntu and I don't really see myself going for it. I do not have the need. People say it is snappier than the gnome desktop from ubuntu. However, I think my ultra customized rox-desktop is still superfast and functional...

If you want to try for yourself: "xubuntu-desktop" installs everything for the xubuntu version, "ubuntu-desktop" and "kubuntu-desktop" do the same for ubuntu and kubuntu resp. You can choose your desktop during logging in under "Session".

Davidtheo - I agree with Edvard: ubuntuforums is a very good place to start searching. It might be a little overwhelming at first, so just take your time :-)

zridling:
Great tips. I'd say download several distros in the form of LiveCDs from DistroWatch and spend an hour or two walking through their menus, making sure all your hardware works. MEPIS is a good starter distro and quite attractive, too. Hard to go wrong with Ubuntu, and with 8.10, the hardware support for laptops only gets better (Oct. 30th, but you can burn a LiveCD of the latest beta, whose features are frozen).

Once you get the hang of one distro, you'll be well on your way to knowing 90% of the rest, as they share so much in common. Their differences are often overemphasized.

Dirhael:
Darwin - I also have yet to try xubuntu and I don't really see myself going for it. I do not have the need. People say it is snappier than the gnome desktop from ubuntu. However, I think my ultra customized rox-desktop is still superfast and functional...

If you want to try for yourself: "xubuntu-desktop" installs everything for the xubuntu version, "ubuntu-desktop" and "kubuntu-desktop" do the same for ubuntu and kubuntu resp. You can choose your desktop during logging in under "Session".

Davidtheo - I agree with Edvard: ubuntuforums is a very good place to start searching. It might be a little overwhelming at first, so just take your time :-)
-housetier (October 22, 2008, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you ever choose to do that, make sure you're using aptitude instead of apt-get. If you don't, chances are *very* high that you won't be able to completely remove the full set of packages by just removing the *ubuntu-desktop one.

Davidtheo:
Thanks

It looks like my two best options are ubuntu and MEPHIS. I will download the live CDs and have a look this weekend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version