ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HELP >.... Some sort of IRQ conflict (I think) ... anyone andy ideas?

<< < (2/5) > >>

jpfx:
When I ran out of activations with roboform. I sent them an email and was up and running again in minutes.
Whatever, the point I make is that roboform have ALWAYS been most helpful with me.

As for hardware, check your drive controllers are not using PIO mode.

Innuendo:
Carol, the reason I point at looking at the VIA & Promise drivers first is that I have seen your exact problem on both VIA systems and systems with Promise controllers. Changing the drivers usually fixed it. That you have both puts you in I believe what the Brits call a sticky wicket.

One version of the Promise drivers had a setting that would alleviate the pauses. Searching through Google and Google Groups for the words Promise and "mouse stuttering" will show you that hundreds of people have had the same problem you are having now. The solution is not always pretty.

As for ATI is concerned, at least with older versions of the Catalyst drivers, it seems the ones with the normal control panel are best & the Catalyst Control Panel is a little flakey.

Finding faultless VIA drivers may be a trip into madness. The newest aren't always the best. You'll have to find the version that works best on your hardware.

The Roboform people are being unreasonable, IMHO. You bought the software & you are entitled to it. Fortunately for you, though, there is an activator out in the wild. If the Roboform people will not see reason you will be able to go to the shady side of the street for a bit & activate that to which you are legally entitled.

Carol Haynes:
I have updated to latest VIA drivers - reapplied the MSI BIOS update (hacked version) and installed the latest version of the Promise Drivers (from their site) which date from 2002 !!!

I'lll see how it goes.

Still not sure about this IRQ sharing though - it's very strange because some IRQ lines aren't being used at all, and others have three devices to manage ??? I know IRQ mapping in WinXP is virtual and so it probably doesn't make any difference but when you have high-resource impact devices sharing it seems to be a likely source of trouble.

I don't know how WinXP allocates its IRQ table - but sharing USB2 (potentially with multiple discs including hard discs/DVD burners/card readers/digital cameras etc), wireless network, RAID array drivers and Graphics card drivers seems pretty mad to me !

Re: RoboForm - I may have expressed myself badly. They quickly reset my account to allow me to reauthenticate. My argument is that changing a bad hard disc only (and installing all files from a backup) should not force reactivation in the first place. If they are going to tie the product to a single computer (which doesn't work anyway) they should use something more constant like network MAC value, CPU ID, IDE interface ID ... choosing something like a Hard Disc as a key seems plain daft as HDs are almost considered consumables these days!

mouser:
i agree wrt hard disk requiring reactivation.  very annoying.

Carol Haynes:
It's interesting reading about the mouse stuttering problems - but I am not sure that is what i am experiencing.

I don't seem to be getting audio dropout and 99.9% of the time the keyboard and mouse work fine. Just very occasionally the keyboard doesn't respond for a couple of seconds. The keystrokes are input intot he keyboard buffer however and appear when the 'freeze' ends. At the same time it doesn't accept mouse clicks, but again these seem to queue up and are acted on when it unfreezes.

Strange ...

Still seems to be happening (though perhaps not quite so frequently) with the new VIA drivers and the last Promise drivers produced for the Promis onboard controller/BIOS I have.

Doesn't seem to happen particularly when discs are being accessed - at the mo I am using BeyondComapare to do a byte-by-byte comparison of all files in a RAID partition with an IDE partition and I haven't expereiences the freeze for a few minutes ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version