ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Things your kids will never know - old school tech!

<< < (22/35) > >>

CWuestefeld:
IBM did release "Red October", AKA Object Rexx.  The IDE is ok for an IDE made in 1998.
-dwbrant (November 05, 2008, 08:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Really? I've heard of Object Rexx, but I couldn't find any reference to it in conjunction with Red October. When I saw it circa 1992, the IDE certainly needed work, but it was a good start. What was remarkable about the platform was that the code was inherently client-server (that was the height of technology at the time, before n-tier architectures). But as I recall, everyone viewed the project as dead. I guess after I left it must have been resurrected.

dwbrant:

Really? I've heard of Object Rexx, but I couldn't find any reference to it in conjunction with Red October. When I saw it circa 1992, the IDE certainly needed work, but it was a good start. What was remarkable about the platform was that the code was inherently client-server (that was the height of technology at the time, before n-tier architectures). But as I recall, everyone viewed the project as dead. I guess after I left it must have been resurrected.
-CWuestefeld (November 05, 2008, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

The ObjectRexx IDE was released but I have never seen it updated.  I last used it in 2001 but never found it especially useful .. and yeah, I remember it being client-server.  I think it's "dead again".

There is Open Object Rexx which is the result of Object Rexx being released to the general public, but I don't think there is an IDE for it.  Too bad.

bcpaladin:
MTV- Music television only played music videos,  the same for VH1

I'm 41. When I was a kid our phone was on a party line.  Easy way to spy on the neighbors.
  I learned to type on an IBM Selectric. Talk about dB level,  imagine a room with 30 of them all going at once while taking a speed test.
  The first camera i took a picture on was a Kodak instamatic.  I still have an unused Flashcube for some reason.
  I remember watching astronauts on the moon on a B&W TV.
  I still have a Mimeograph machine.  And I have an old Royal manual typewriter to make the stencils for the mimeograph.  Electrics sometimes didn't strike hard enough to cut through the stencil.
  I still have a TV antenna.  I have satellite TV but if we have a large storm it has a tendency to go away.  I switch back to the antenna and only get 4 channels.

mikiem:
The Mimeo's impressive...

1) When 8-tracks 1st came out, there was no cheap/easy separate FM stereo, so tape adapters were popular.

2) Keypunch & related... Tape drives... Ancient teletype terminals [thunka thunka thunka] & early basic... Decolaters... Bursters...

3) Pushmowers... Hand-powered grass trimmers...Manual drills... Manual mixers for that matter.

4) V8 engines... Carburetors... Generators... 6 volt electrical... Lead for body filler... Bias ply car tires...

Darwin:
Bias ply car tires...
-mikiem (November 05, 2008, 07:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good one! Hadn't thought of that one...

Also:

When I was a kid our phone was on a party line.  Easy way to spy on the neighbors.
-bcpaladin (November 05, 2008, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

though I think it's already been mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Having said that, it's got to be one of the most foreign of concepts to a teenager today, used, as they are, to the privacy afforded by a cell phone. They'd be blown away by the landline, rotary, telephone in the kitchen that I grew up with. No privacy what-so-ever!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version