ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Getting rid of windows shell

<< < (2/5) > >>

TucknDar:
I've been using LiteStep since as long as I can remember, without any major problems. Maybe there's been a couple of occasions where some app seems to have relied on explorer being set as shell, but apart from that (which I don't even remember the details of) no problems.

Paul Keith:
Just out of curiosity, which do you think is much easier for desktop users to adapt to? Migrating to Linux or using a shell replacement?

Since I've discovered both, I've been conflicted on which one to start REALLY learning first.

40hz:
Just out of curiosity, which do you think is much easier for desktop users to adapt to? Migrating to Linux or using a shell replacement?

Since I've discovered both, I've been conflicted on which one to start REALLY learning first.
-Paul Keith (October 19, 2008, 09:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Think of it this way:

A shell replacement is your present lover decked out in skimpy lingerie. Linux is a whole new lover.

(Bet you won't forget THAT analogy anytime soon! ;D)

Paul Keith:
A shell replacement is your present lover decked out in skimpy lingerie. Linux is a whole new lover wearing even skimpier lingerie and has a strong immunity towards STDs but is unfortunately wearing a chastity belt whose hole requires more than inserting a key
--- End quote ---

Fix'd  :D

I guess I just want a minimalistic desktop that I can understand and have great FREE alternatives to the applications I'm used to. (which so far are available in Linux in the form of java apps requiring installation from source)

40hz:
A shell replacement is your present lover decked out in skimpy lingerie. Linux is a whole new lover wearing even skimpier lingerie and has a strong immunity towards STDs but is unfortunately wearing a chastity belt whose hole requires more than inserting a key
--- End quote ---

Fix'd  :D

-Paul Keith (October 19, 2008, 11:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Uh...ok.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version