ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 3.5 [FINAL]

<< < (7/10) > >>

Hirudin:
I've been using Google Chrome since the first public beta came out (I think). Now I'm back to Firefox! As far as I can tell it's got everything I liked about Chrome, plus it has Flashblock.

I used this to make FirefoxPortable the default browser in Windows 7 RC. The little program seems to work. Other than that I don't know anything about it... Norton said it's not a virus though, so that's good.
Firefox 3.5 [FINAL]

Small complaint: I would like to have "X" buttons on both the tabs and on the right. Also, I'd also like to have an "X" button on the last tab.

Ehtyar:
I have a local installation of Firefox set as default. When my portable version is running, new links are opened in it, otherwise the local installations opens.

Ehtyar.

Lashiec:
The new icon looks gorgeous, except the 16x16 version, which looks quite funny ;D

Some pages perform much better, namely Yahoo! Mail and many of Google services, except GMail, which seems as fast as always. Even Facebook seems to work faster, although the real test will be using Facebook Chat and see if it still brings the computer to a halt like before. In the other hand, the comment system in /. keeps freezing the browser. Oh well.

Also, it may be my computer, or DropMyRights not playing nice with Firefox, but a cold start is significantly slower than with 3.0. And when I say, "significantly slower" I mean it. A warm start is much faster than before, though.

I'm eager to see sites taking advantage of the new core features, especially <audio> and <video> support, even if the standard is not completely finished. Bye, bye Flash, I won't miss you :-P

cyberdiva:
Also, it may be my computer, or DropMyRights not playing nice with Firefox, but a cold start is significantly slower than with 3.0. And when I say, "significantly slower" I mean it. A warm start is much faster than before, though.
-Lashiec (July 01, 2009, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh, say it isn't so!  :(  I've been hating how slow a cold start is in version 3.0.  Opera is so much faster!  The thought that FF may be even slower to start from scratch in version 3.5 may be enough to keep me from upgrading for as long as possible.  I guess I won't know until I try, but I won't try for a while yet, until it's likely that the extensions I care about will work.  Sometimes I hate progress!

Ehtyar:
I can't see any of the major online services switching to HTML 5 any time soon. The standard is still far from being approved, and indeed the video/audio formats supported by Firefox are not set in stone either. They'd not be supported in IE for some time, and I've no doubt Adobe will be peddling Flash like some retarded monkey over the next few years.

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version