ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 3.5 [FINAL]

(1/10) > >>

Ehtyar:
Now don't get your knickers all bunched up just yet folks, this post is about BETA 1 only. I thought it best to consolidate all 3.1-related posts in one thread, save filling the forum with it. As anyone who reads the Tech News Weekly (and I imagine many who don't) will know, Firefox BETA 1 was released this week. As it hasn't been dole already, I thought I might take the opportunity to plug my favorite browser a little. Firefox 3.1 includes many new features that should excite almost every user group, though the most excitement will be felt by developers, particularly those keeping abreast with HTML 5 developments.
As yet there doesn't seem to be a consolidated list for features, but I'll link to more detailed information where I can. OK, here are the new features in the most awesome browser ever....bias? what? who? *cough*:

For Everyone

* The obligatory JavaScript performance improvement, looks like a big one this time guys.
* The slightly-rough-around-the-edges-but-still-awesome tab switcher :Thmbsup:.Firefox 3.5 [FINAL]

* Filter results in the Smart Location Bar (Awesome Bar) with keywords.
* The long-overdue ability to drag tabs from one window to another.
* The too-little-too-late new tab button. Really, if we wanted to go all the way to the right hand corner to open a new tab we'd just double click that micro-thin layer of blank tab bar above all our open tabs. All hail Tab Mix Plus.Firefox 3.5 [FINAL]

For Web Developers

* Support for the HTML 5 <video> and <audio> tags. Yeah baby!!!
* Support for downloadable fonts in CSS
* Support for CSS word-wrap and text-shadow properties in addition to a host of other CSS properties and selectors.
* Support for ICC Color Correction (only for tagged images atm)
* Support for Geolocation.
* Support for Drag & Drop in HTML 5 pages.
* Several other DOM Changes.
* Full support for the HTML 5 <canvas> element and API.
* Some improvements and additions to SVG support.
For Extension Developers

* A search attribute for the XUL textbox, which fires the command function on content modification, much like the Firefox inbuilt find does.
* A level attribute for the XUL panel, used to determine which panel should be atop another.
* Support for cross-site XMLHttpRequests.
* Support for progress events in XMLHttpRequest.
* Support for removing <keyset>s.
* Native JSON support.
* Various theme changes
Well I hope that sums it up well. Please let me know if I missed anything. I'd like to put together a demo HTML 5 page so people can try out the new HTML 5 elements if they'd like, so keep an eye out :).
For those of you who'd like to run the BETA alongside their existing installation, download Portable Firefox here. Once installed, copy the FirefoxPortable.ini from Other\Source into the root directory, and change 'AllowMultipleInstances' to 'true'.

Ehtyar.

[edit]
Here's the demo peoples, be sure to read the warnings before clicking the links. Enjoy :)
[/edit]

Deozaan:
The too-little-too-late new tab button. Really, if we wanted to go all the way to the right hand corner to open a new tab we'd just double click that micro-thin layer of blank tab bar above all our open tabs. All hail Tab Mix Plus.
-Ehtyar (October 18, 2008, 05:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ctrl-T works great.

Ehtyar:
The too-little-too-late new tab button. Really, if we wanted to go all the way to the right hand corner to open a new tab we'd just double click that micro-thin layer of blank tab bar above all our open tabs. All hail Tab Mix Plus.
-Ehtyar (October 18, 2008, 05:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ctrl-T works great.
-Deozaan (October 18, 2008, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
As far as buttons go, the new one is a bit of a joke...

Ehtyar.

ewemoa:
Thanks for the summary!  :Thmbsup:

P.S. Thanks for Tech News Weekly too -- very much appreciated!

Ehtyar:
Thank you ewemoa, and welcome to the forum :)

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version