ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tech News Weekly: Edition 42

<< < (3/4) > >>

jgpaiva:
On the spoiler-tag idea: I think adding spoilers takes more space (don't forget that it takes one line for the button, and that the spoiler has a frame around it), and it might become anoying to open all of them.
Still, I think it's worth a shot as long as it isn't a huge work to do it.

Ehtyar: I love the format, and THANK YOU for the work, I specially like the touch of linking to threads on DC about the news that were already reported.
Also, I have a question: what's the ordering? Is it ordered by time or relevance? Not that it matters, I'm just curious :)

Also, thank you for the info on botnets (8 and 9), I didn't even know there were names for specific botnets :)

mouser:
Although the spoiler idea has some merit -- it would also mean that unless you could tell immediately if an item was of interest to you from the title, you'd have to do a lot more clicking to read summaries.

40hz:
Think you might need to seriously start considering a simplified CMS approach for Tech Newz. Publishing a weekly newsletter doesn't map out to the forum paradigm all that well. A blog engine would also be a good alternative, not to mention being a whole lot easier to set up. That could handle all the suggestions people are making without too much hassle.

Just a thought. :)

Ehtyar:
Thanks for your kind words everyone :)
Since there appears to mixed sentiment about the spoiler tags idea, I think next week I will double post the news next week and see what everyone likes. The only question left is what goes inside the tags and what is displayed outside? Leave me some feedback if you have an opinion either way.
Also, I have a question: what's the ordering? Is it ordered by time or relevance? Not that it matters, I'm just curious :)
-jgpaiva (October 18, 2008, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm afraid at the moment there is no ordering at all. I add them as I come across them. There will be sporadic chronological ordering where I have more than one article from the same website (which often happens with wired.com and theregister.co.uk).
Also, thank you for the info on botnets (8 and 9), I didn't even know there were names for specific botnets :)
-jgpaiva (October 18, 2008, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
In actual fact, the botnets are simply named after the trojan that creates them. Some of the larger ones like Kraken also have several aliases.

Ehtyar.

nosh:
Thanks for the effort, Ethyar.  :)

The item title would be linked to the main source so the rest of the links would go inside the spoiler, IMO.
I'd prefer the two line summary to go inside too but I'm sure there are going to be mixed opinions on that one, since it's going to be a test run you could try both options and see what people think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version