ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Digital Music Purchases - Downloads or Ripped CD's?

<< < (5/5)

app103:
I normally buy CD's and rip them, but for the last few years I have hardly bought any music.

Most of what I listen to is free and CC licensed or streamed on Pandora or Last.fm.

I often find even more free downloads after logging what I listen to on Pandora, to Last.fm.

But the CC licensed stuff is really nice because I can legally share it.  :-*

Music_Guy:
Good CD's, or ones that I enjoy the production and want to hear in a lossless format, I buy the CD, then rip in WAV. If I heard all the music off a CD from a friend and only like a few singles while not impressed by the sound quality, I'll pay to download each individually.

For the quality difference, if you have a good set of speakers (I have a home studio so you get to hear the difference), the CD versions of the songs are completely worth it, but if you always listen to music off of a laptop, it's not worth the difference. Might as well download your music.

If I didn't mind quality, I'd stick to a single, quality legal music download site with a monthly membership to listen to anything I want, whenever. 

allen:
I have no need/desire for the compact discs -- just more clutter lying around. I do sort of miss thumbing through the linear notes, taking in the album as a complete work of art -- audio as well as visual -- but any more, I just want to get the digital music and enjoy all of the conveniences that come with that.  Thankfully, the places I get music all offer DRM-free mp3 downloads these days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version