ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which operating system you like most....

<< < (15/15)

f0dder:
An "object-oriented OS" doesn't necessarily meant it's implemented an OOP language, but probably more along the lines of being modularized, and modules being interconnectable/scriptable (kinda like I understand Apple have been trying to do on OSX with "that scripting language" that is "pretty widely supported"?).

Also, you don't need a language with syntactic sugar to do OOP programming - people are doing it in C and Assembly probably without even knowing (as soon as you're dealing with the win32 API, you're doing OO programming, whether you realize it or not :)).

40hz:
An "object-oriented OS" doesn't necessarily meant it's implemented an OOP language, but probably more along the lines of being modularized, and modules being interconnectable/scriptable (kinda like I understand Apple have been trying to do on OSX with "that scripting language" that is "pretty widely supported"?).

Also, you don't need a language with syntactic sugar to do OOP programming - people are doing it in C and Assembly probably without even knowing (as soon as you're dealing with the win32 API, you're doing OO programming, whether you realize it or not :)).
-f0dder (October 14, 2008, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think of object-oriented design and modularization as being one and the same thing - although I could be wrong in my opinion. What you are describing sounds very much like something that has already been done. I'm referring to the concurrent development of the Modula-2 programming language and the Lilith Workstation back in 1978. These were actual working systems, not just some paper or wire-wrap prototypes. Here's a 1981 vintage unit in use. Looks a lot like another computer that came out in January of 1984 doesn't it?

http://www.modulaware.com/mdlt52.htm

The need for a structured language with a module facility was less pronounced in the software community at large than in our immediate environment. An explanation of this requires some digression. The computing facilities available in 1977 were essentially large scale mainframes hosting sophisticated time-sharing systems, accessible only via terminals and remote satellites. The revolutionary concept of the powerful, personal workstation - the Alto computer developed at PARC - appeared to me like a revelation [4]. I was immediately convinced that there was no point in continuing development of software, except if based on and oriented towards this novel computing environment. However, such devices not being available on the market, there remained only one path to proceed, namely to design and build one on our own. Again, there was a recogized need and an idea of a solution. The project produced the workstation Lilith [5, 6].

There is no point in creating new hardware without new software. A basic operating system, utility programs, and first applications were to be developed concurrently, and therefore a programming language and its compiler were required as well. In fact, the primary incentive for designing Modula-2 was the need for a simple, allround language capable of expressing the whole range of programs needed to render Lilith into a powerful software development tool. The explicit goal was to use one and the same language for all Lilith software. Evidently, Modula and Lilith grew as a couple, and it would be futile to record the history of one without that of the other.
***In December 1980, the first pilot series of 20 Liliths, manufactured in Utah under the supervision of R. Ohran, were delivered to ETH Zurich. Further software development proceeded with a more than a 20-fold hardware power at our disposal. A genuine personal workstation environment had successfully been established.

--- End quote ---

You can download the Lilith design spec (in PDF format) from here:
http://www.cfbsoftware.com.au/files080813/Lilith.pdf

And the Modula-2 Handbook here:
http://www.cfbsoftware.com.au/files080813/Modula2%20Handbook.pdf

Modula-2 did not directly support object-oriented programming it was still possible to do it:

Although Modula does not support object-oriented programming, it at least makes it possible through the use of the type ADDRESS and the rule that an address value may be assigned to any pointer variable.
--- End quote ---

The Lilith Workstation and Modula-2 Programming language were succeeded by the Ceres workstation and the Oberon Programming Language. The Oberon OS is itself written in the Oberon programming language.

bobzero:
I have had Vista Home Premium sp1, for over a year now, amid much fuss over xp is better than vista, well great progress has been made with vista and i liked xp it was wonderful as well, But i used to crash and do a clean install a lot since i mess with a lot of stuff and i still cannot Kill Vista., its like a timex watch, takes a licking and keeps on ticking, so don't be shy and give it a try!

donco666:
Can you really think that $3K for a high quality tower is insane?
-donco666 (September 30, 2008, 12:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah. That kind of cash should get you at least a quadcore with 8gigs of ram, GPU in the GeForce 8800 or better class, fast harddrives, high-quailty tower and powerful PSU.

When mentioning OS X, hardware and cash does come into the picture, since you're really limited to what Apple offers... unless you're building frankenmacs. Which Apple really really really doesn't want you to.
-f0dder (September 30, 2008, 01:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am beginning to think either you have no idea what a Mac Pro is made of or you are presenting the argument in favor of OS X. A Mac Pro starts at $2799 with quad-core, 7200RPM drive and perhaps the highest quality case in the industry. By PSU I think you mean power supply unit. I haven't read the tag on the PSU recently to report the watts but right out of the box it has connections for 4 hard drives and two optical drives so I'm sure it is "powerful". Add $150 for the GeForce 8800 option from the Apple online store and $110 to up the RAM to 8GB from www.18004memory.com and there you've got just what you asked for, total price $3059. Maybe you are right. It is insane to go 59 bucks over budget.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version