ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Eggnog season is upon us!

<< < (4/12) > >>

tomos:
Snakebite?
-f0dder (October 15, 2008, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

hmm, Snakebite is Cider and Lager (as opposed to ale or porter/stout)
but maybe that was the name I was thinking of all the same
It is/was popular to add a dash of the ("Absolute awful") blackcurrant cordial to the mix but usually only on demand ...

I didnt actually like cider & guinness mixed myself but tastes a lot better than a Snakebite imo!

40hz:
Funny, with all that (american) cider in New England, that they never got into producing the alcoholic variety.
-tomos (October 15, 2008, 03:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Probably because nobody felt like waiting for apple season when all they wanted a good stiff drink. Hardening cider isn't very difficult. If you let it sit a bit under the right conditions it happens. Problem is (at least in my house) that a gallon of cider doesn't get to live long enough to harden. It's usually gone by the end of the same day I bring it home. ;D

If you do want hard cider, I've found Hard Core Crisp Hard Cider to be very good - although I'd prefer the carbonation to be a little softer before I gave it 5-stars.

we cant blame the Puritans
-tomos (October 15, 2008, 03:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes we can! I blame them for everything.  >:(

"Consider how much better things would have been if the Plymouth Rock had landed on the Pilgrims."

hmm, Snakebite is Cider and Lager (as opposed to ale or porter/stout)-tomos (October 15, 2008, 07:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Anathema! Outrage! :eusa_naughty:
One does not put the word 'lager' in the same sentence with ale, porter, or stout. It is simply not done.

And Snakebite? Bah! An imposter!! Even its silly name gives it away!!!

If you're ever in New Hampshire, hie thee over to the Woodstock Inn Brewery on Main Street in North Woodstock and order yourself a round of their Autumn Ale Brew.
http://www.woodstockinnbrewery.com/home.php

The brewery offers reasonable prices, excellent food, and a great crowd. And there really is an inn there! Very handy come some fine fall evening when you've had a little too much Autumn Ale, or not enough privacy to get 'better acquainted' with that 'certain someone' you met in the crowd...

(Disclaimer: 40hz is in no way associated with the Woodstock Inn although he has been known to offer up the occasional sacrificial libation in the hopes that he someday may. He has also always paid for whatever he drank in their brewpub out of his own pocket. So there!)

cranioscopical:
there's a name for that mix .. cant remember it though-Tomos
--- End quote ---
Oh, when I ordered a snakebite at some pub here in �rhus some months ago, the Strongbow cider wasn't mixed with Guinness (which would've been nice, I bet) but with something blackcurrant-ish.-f0dder
--- End quote ---

Black satin.
Some used to refer to it as Black Velvet, which is really G & champagne.
Good luck finding champagne in some of my old haunts, or Guinness in others, depending on which part of town  :)

tomos:
Anathema! Outrage! :eusa_naughty:
One does not put the word 'lager' in the same sentence with ale, porter, or stout. It is simply not done.
-40hz (October 15, 2008, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
but "Lager" and "Snakebite" do go together...
Love the Autumn Ale label!

btw, did you look at the Hobgoblin link in f0dder's post? (also an impressive label)
from there:
What's the matter Lagerboy
Afraid you might taste something?;D

Good luck finding champagne in some of my old haunts, or Guinness in others, depending on which part of town :)-cranioscopical (October 15, 2008, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
a man of many worlds ;)

Darwin:
Hobgoblin is an impressive ale as well  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version