ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My computer is older than YOUR computer!

<< < (3/8) > >>

gexecuter:
Can it run Crysis?

fenixproductions:
I still have an original, fully functional, Atari ST - 1985.-Dormouse (October 14, 2008, 02:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Me too but additionaly I have PONG set :)

It's just black plank with two controllers. Single controller is just thick stick with looks like microphone with knob.
Oh! There is only PONG :)

Edited
Unfortunately: I've just heard that my brothers gave it someone behind my backs...

f0dder:
In the place where I was living in the Netherlands I know I have some fully functional 286's, each with 4 Mb RAM and 40 Mb harddrive.  :)
-Shades (October 14, 2008, 02:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
The question that arises is: Does a current 64 bit Vista system with 4Gb of memory and terrabytes of storage actually achieve much more than these old 286 systems (grief I remember when 286 was revolutionary!) - and I bet the 286 boots quicker!!!-Carol Haynes (October 14, 2008, 04:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Boots pretty fast to DOS, but if you want to run win3.x it takes a while extra. If you cut down the time spent in BIOS initialization phase (which is longer today than back then), I wouldn't be surprised if the OS boot time is about the same...

And yeah, current systems do achieve a lot more, both in features and user friendliness. I wonder if it's possible to come up with some "additional power required compared to bloat compared to user friendliness" (et cetera) index. I *do* feel that a lot of processing power is wasted these days.

I wish that my old C=64 worked. Spent many hours with that fine old machine.

Edvard:
I was always more than a little impressed at how snappy Windows 95 was on a 486 DX100 w/64 Megs compared to WinXP on an AMD XP1600 with 256 MB.

I still have a Packard Bell 386 that runs well but I can't use because the bios has to EXACTLY match the hard drive parameters or it won't use it and guess who's 240 MB hard drive has next to NO information on the label...

Lashiec:
I have an old MSXw, a Philips VG8020, from around 1987 at least, inherited from my middle brother. It could be older though, but my first memories of it go back to when I was around 4 years old, seeing my brother play Gauntlet, Knight Lore or Gunfright. It's like new, and works like a charm after all these years, except that it needs a new external tape recorder.

Check out the specs: 80KB of RAM expandable to 200 KB (ZOMG!), 32KB of ROM and... TWO CARTRIDGE SLOTS! A killer machine, indeed ;D. Nah, seriously it provided many hours of fun through the years for us, and I learned BASIC on it.

My oldest brother has a Spectrumw on the attic, but I never saw it, so it may work or not. I ignore when it was bought, but either I was a baby, or I wasn't even born when the machine got home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version