ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Where to start with computer programing

<< < (8/8)

Shades:
@Ehtyar:
At some point in time Tinjaw posted a picture of him together with his girlfriend...which I saw back then (you know...that inquiring thingy  ;)).

Unfortunately I cannot recall the link anymore and it will very likely be removed (one's inquiry is opposed to others privacy).

Let's just say that if you are jealous now, you definitely should not have taken a look at that picture. Not only would you give Tinjaw permission, you would gladly your blessings as well. I for one totally understand why we don't see so many Tinjaw posts here anymore.  :) 

@Tinjaw:
My best wishes for you and your loved ones. Hope you can forgive me for being so liberal.  :-[

tinjaw:
Thanks for the compliment Shades. I don't want to hijack this thread, so maybe I'll post to the Living Room.

Back to talk of programming...

I have preordered a copy of IronPython in Action and am looking forward to playing with IronPython -- especially if it ends up with official support in Visual Studio.

The other piece of advice I would like to give josephus, is one that I have given to others before on this topic. Pick something you like to do, a hobby, and build a *complete* program for something related to it. Complete shouldn't imply large or comprehensive. Small is good. But *complete* it. It will help you learn how to program while still keeping your interest. Something book example don't always do well at. That means to do the boring stuff like adding comments, aligning stuff in the correct columns on output, using the proper text color on output, etc. All the nitpicky stuff that turns out to be 80% of what a programmer needs to do in any given programming language.

Armando:
Interestingly, most universities here (Montreal -- Quebec, Canada) start to teach programming by teaching Java. That's what I'm doing right now (errr.... not teaching Java, but... learning Java...  :)). I must say that I like Java. Of course, I lack perspective, but... since I'm not a complete life newbie, I think I'm at least partially able to recognize nice structures...

Anyways. I was actually going to start with Python (very attractive language, if I may say so), but had to switch to Java for my first programming course. It's okay, I don't regret it : Java is fun and, like f0dder said, it's got a pretty well furnished library to keep you busy for a while... Also, as (still) others have said (Ethyar?), Java (and also C#) is a good language to get a job (well... it is here... might be different elsewhere). Must say though that I'm not into getting programming a job at the moment (more having fun) -- but who knows... in the future, maybe.

(So you see, I got contaminated...  :) . Damn.)

PS : Edit : I believe mouser  said something ( somewhere) I strongly believe in : you need to have fun and work on projects that keep you motivcated. And a good "book" (ebook or paper book) is a good friend.   :Thmbsup:

Fred Nerd:
I'm learning/trying to learn programming. And was going well in AHK Programming School until SOMEONE put in a killer question which effectively killed me.

But I want to keep going, however I'm one of those people with so little time that if it isn't useful, I won't bother.
I want to make add-ons for web bowsers. Things like blockers, form filler in'ers, and whatever else I can think of.
Cloud computing means browsers will be as important as OSs.

So where do I start, and am I biting off more than I can chew (as usual)?

mouser:
Great idea to focus on this area -- i think you'll find it's a bit of an initial learning curve but that you'll have the advantage of being able to start out modifying example code.

I think what i'll do is add a new section to the Programming School on Firefox Extensions.  We can start out slow.

FireFox Extension Programming School Section is now Live:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=252.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version