ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Iobit smart defrag vs o&o defrag pro

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
The one that's given me the best results has been Raxco PerfectDisc.

I hate the direction the GUI has been taking the last few revisions, it's gotten heavier and sloppier for no good reason. But it still defragments well :)
-f0dder (October 11, 2008, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
As for the free alternative, there's nothing I'd recommend above JkDefrag. It's very fast, does a great job and offers you various defragmentation strategies depending on your needs. If you want an easier way to configure it, look no further than JkDefrag GUI.
-Dirhael (October 11, 2008, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I second that 100%. I use JKDefrag GUI and I'm very happy with it.

-city_zen (October 11, 2008, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll third that. I'm using JKDefrag GUI. I used to use PerfectDisc, but I dumped it because of the GUI issues f0dder mentioned in his comment. Why do so many useful utilities go down that road?

JKDefrag's 'price' ain't bad either. ;D

Shades:
The last freeware version from disktrix is what I use. the GUI is not one of the nicest...but I let it do its work at night when I go to sleep anyway.

What I like from this one is that it first defrags files and moves them afterwards to the inner or outer part of the harddisk c.q. partition depending on the setting that you prefer. In my case the files I used most are put on the outer part, improving the access speed.

Since I tried this one, I dropped all the others.

Oh yeah...what I also like a lot from this is that it doesn't keep b.tching about lack of space on the harddisk/partition, while others start complaining that 10%-15% has to be free on the harddisk/partition before commencing or don't start at all before this 'requirement' is met.   :tellme:

[rant]
What is that about anyway? (that there is a need to have free room is logical to me, but why put the percentage behind the number? To me the fact that 10 Gbyte of free space should be more than enough on a 500 Gbyte harddisk....but no, it has to be 50 Gbyte? What can be so big?
[/rant]

Dirhael:
The last freeware version from disktrix is what I use. the GUI is not one of the nicest...but I let it do its work at night when I go to sleep anyway.

What I like from this one is that it first defrags files and moves them afterwards to the inner or outer part of the harddisk c.q. partition depending on the setting that you prefer. In my case the files I used most are put on the outer part, improving the access speed.

Since I tried this one, I dropped all the others.

Oh yeah...what I also like a lot from this is that it doesn't keep b.tching about lack of space on the harddisk/partition, while others start complaining that 10%-15% has to be free on the harddisk/partition before commencing or don't start at all before this 'requirement' is met.   :tellme:

[rant]
What is that about anyway? (that there is a need to have free room is logical to me, but why put the percentage behind the number? To me the fact that 10 Gbyte of free space should be more than enough on a 500 Gbyte harddisk....but no, it has to be 50 Gbyte? What can be so big?
[/rant]
-Shades (October 11, 2008, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Most other of the good defraggers offers you the same option without having to use the silly GUI of UD. Also, I'm not touching anything from Disktrix after they tried to con people into paying for telling them that using NTFS compression could possibly improve disk access speeds. Really, unless their future products actually cures both cancer and HIV/AIDS I'm not using them even if I were paid to do so.

f0dder:
Yeah, the whole NTFS compression thing combined with their extremely silly GUI makes me stay faaaar away from anything made by DiskTrix.

I have to agree with Shades on the free space requirement, though - while having some free space available helps, it shouldn't be set as a percentage... has more to do with the largest file that has to be defragmented.

relequestual:
I tried using the DiskTrix software, but it would never finish the defrag on C. Some file it couldnt handle, that all other defraggers ive tried can!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version