ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best FREE IRC client?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Hirudin:
I've gone on a "find a new IRC client" bindge a time or too also, but I always go back to ol' mIRC. In fact, I still use 6.03 because I'm too damn lazy to install a new one, also because this install has lasted through several formats). I hate using the "standard" program for anything, but mIRC is one I just can't shake (Winamp is another).

I tried Miranda for an AIM client, but couldn't make it work in the first 5 minutes so I gave up and went back to trillian. It'll take quite a bit to get me to install it again.

(I use 0 scripts. The most advanced thing I do with mIRC is hit TAB to complete people's names.) I think I'll take a lookyloo at savIRC and Vortec IRC though. Has anyone here used either of these?

mouser:
maybe you'll find a mirc script worth installing here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/mircpak/index.html

or here even:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/mircryption/index.php

;)

Nighted:
The IRC plugin in Miranda is a bit better than the one included with Trillian. I've been playing around with Miranda lately and tweaking a few of the addons I found on the site. Something to put on my flash drive when I'm travelling. So far I've configured it quite satisfactorily....

mIRC is still the best for me though, I think. I have a lot of memories from mIRC and love making scripts once in a while. I also have a post card from Kahled on my refrigerator.  :D

brotherS:
I've gone on a "find a new IRC client" bindge a time or too also, but I always go back to ol' mIRC. In fact, I still use 6.03 because I'm too damn lazy to install a new one, also because this install has lasted through several formats). I hate using the "standard" program for anything, but mIRC is one I just can't shake (Winamp is another).
-Hirudin (November 17, 2005, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
While Winamp is a really great standard (with all those plugins available!) mIRC is not IMHO, at least not for your needs.

I tried Miranda for an AIM client, but couldn't make it work in the first 5 minutes so I gave up and went back to trillian. It'll take quite a bit to get me to install it again.

--- End quote ---
Read what Nighted said - I can only copy that :) Miranda has a great IRC plugin and you could enhance what Miranda does with a few of the bazillion available plugins. Btw, Miranda chat: #Miranda irc.freenode.net

(I use 0 scripts. The most advanced thing I do with mIRC is hit TAB to complete people's names.) I think I'll take a lookyloo at savIRC and Vortec IRC though. Has anyone here used either of these?

--- End quote ---
TAB completion is part of almost every IRC program out there, for Miranda you can also choose if it should add  ": " behind the name or not - and about 20352971 other things.
;)

Should you want to try Miranda again (and you should want :D ) please check the URL mentioned in my signature.

moerl:
I have to say I like Klient.. its interface is beautiful and the preferences are ridiculously easy. Aside from that, it really doesn't seem to offer anything extraordinary, especially compared to mIRC. It's a good, solid client, no doubt, and I guess that's what counts :).

I keep looking at VORTEC though.. and every time I take a look I'm more interested. I will probably try it out soon. It's also updated more than Klient. Klient's last release was in July or something.. Vortec's in October :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version