ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Apple Patents the OS X Dock!!!

(1/6) > >>

VideoInPicture:
The Register news article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/08/apple_patents_osx_dock/ says that Apple has finally received it's patent for the OS X dock and says that it could give Apple the ability to go after imitators such as Object Dock, Rocket Dock, etc. Apple's patent is shown here: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,434,177.PN.&OS=PN/7,434,177&RS=PN/7,434,177

This certainly interests me since I programmed Circle Dock. However, I think there is enough differentiation between Circle Dock and the OS X dock that I don't need to be concerned. Also, I know that there is an extensive list of prior pie menu launchers before I programmed Circle Dock so Apple's patent wouldn't apply in this case since there are so many cases of prior art.

However, it does bring concern about all the regular docking applications out there and whether their existence will continue. What do you guys think? Would Apple's patent apply to other docking applications out there?

MrCrispy:
I hope Apple doesn't go after the other dock apps but given Apple's attitude and sue-happy legal history, I'm almost sure they will :(

Software patents are evil.

Darwin:
I hope Apple doesn't go after the other dock apps but given Apple's attitude and sue-happy legal history, I'm almost sure they will :(

-MrCrispy (October 08, 2008, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hope you're wrong about Apple... if you are not, I think that going after small developers is petty.

Grorgy:
These people go after grandmothers and children, I would think developers would be just a warm up exercise  ;D

Dirhael:

-MrCrispy (October 08, 2008, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hope you're wrong about Apple... if you are not, I think that going after small developers is petty.
-Darwin (October 08, 2008, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

They already did this with Y'z Dock way back when.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version