ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can You Run OS X on a Virtual Machine?

<< < (5/6) > >>

nontroppo:
MrCrispy: indeed this is a big question. They'll have to protect and encrypt the whole pipeline as MS did if they want compatibility. There has been absolute silence on what they are going to do. There are many Apple users who *are* going to kick up hell (including me) if it is as pervasive as Vista's implementation (and we've made it known). The difference is, at least from the kernels perspective, Darwin is open-source and Apple cannot hide this in software alone. They may finally use some sort of hardware mechanism, which could be even worse   :o

I do think the DRM space is different than when Vista was being baked. DRM seems to be being hammered from all sides (passing FAD or not), and Vista itself has not yet enforced its DRM mechanisms fully as DVDs are still hugely dominant. I really wonder how consistently e.g. the very troubling BD+ virtual machine will be enforced. As it appears BD+ has already been circumvented on Windows machines (by AnyDVD) maybe it is a moot point...

The argument from Peter Gutmann is that MS was not "reluctantly" building Vista's DRMed core, but actively extending it as widely as possible (MS of course also had to support both then-viable HD formats thus be more generally robust). His updated slides suggest some of that eagerness has already been shown to be unworkable in reality. Take his analysis with as many grains as salt to taste as you see fit (there are many rebuttals [and counter-rebuttals] to his perspective).

If Apple do implement it, I hope they do as little as possible, and hope the market switches to downloading movies making blu-ray a minority platform to deal with.

MrCrispy:
I sincerely hope video DRM dies a quick (but painful) death, just like music DRM which is all but gone now from the online music stores (except ITunes) due to consumer backlash. But I fear that's not going to happen.

The only reason AnyDvd has not been sued out of existence is because they are not based in the US, but how long will that last? AACS keys change regularly on Bluray discs, and they may even turn on ICT. Managed copy is not available. And there may still be ways to enforce the existing BluRay DRM mechanisms for which there are no workarounds. My point is the story is not yet over and the studios won't give up easily. Real had a solution which let you backup dvd's legally, without breaking DMCA, and they still lost!

I'm also eagerly awaiting Apple's solution. If nothing else, its guaranteed to be user friendly, and they may even force a concession or two out of Hollywood.

nontroppo:
Well, Kevin Rose is predicting that the new Macbooks due on Tuesday will have blu-ray drives in some capacity:

http://www.edibleapple.com/kevin-rose-drops-macbook-blu-ray-rumor-at-live-diggnation-event/

Leopard wil be updated to 10.5.6 to support it. Now how they'll get the whole protected path in an upgrade if true is a mystery (unless Leopard already does this but it seems unlikely no-one has picked it up).

MrCrispy:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/14/live-from-apples-spotlight-turns-to-notebooks-event/

No BluRay, no HDMI, the big deal is the new Nvidia chipset with IGP, brick manufacturing, and glass trackpad. Nothing about Leopard 10.5.6.

Lashiec:
Huh, nVidia chipsets, and they said it would not happen. I hope Apple does not get the same problems from their IGPs other assemblers are getting, otherwise it could be a really bad move on their part. Not that their chipsets are well-known for running cool. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version