ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can You Run OS X on a Virtual Machine?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Check out http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required

Darwin:
Not to be a stickler, but please note that the no-hacking installations of OS X (on non-Apple PCs) requires that one download and burn to DVD a pre-hacked version of OS X... I have the installation discs for Tiger but I still can't install them on my Gateway computer. I *suspect* that if one were to create an iso image of the first DVD, one would be able to edit one or more of the files used by the installer to allow the OS to be installed, but I've no idea what files to edit or what info needs to be added/removed to make this possible.

Darwin:
PS re: above post, just to clarify, my point was that no matter what *solution* one turns up to allow OS X to be run on a non-Apple computer, you're going to be breaking the EULA.

VideoInPicture:
That LifeHacker article seems to point to the easiest way to get OS X running on a virtual machine although it's not 100% certain if the emulations virtual machine software provide will do the trick. I will have to test it out if I ever get myself some OS X software or do some development for OS X.

I agree that it would probably be breaking the EULA for OS X but this just seems as illogical as when Microsoft said you couldn't use virtual machines to run Windows and later reversed their decision. If Apple wants a better chance of taking over the operating system market share, the least they could do is make it easy for developers to run OS X on a virtual machine so that you don't have to buy an Apple machine just to run OS X. It also makes life easier for programmers so that you don't have to double/triple boot your system or you don't care to switch over to OS X when you already like the operating system you have.

Apple should follow the foot steps of Microsoft and release their own version of VirtualPC along with providing demo virtual machine images for OS or support the open source VirtualBox project.

Carol Haynes:
Now that would be an interesting idea - how about one of the VM companies in their next upgrade change the model slightly.

Rather than having a standard machine - why not have a choice of hardware to emulate, so you can choose the components to build your system and test stuff out. The components available could be a superset of the basic Apple Intel hardware. They could still have a bog standard set as now for most users but it would mean developers could test out stuff on different hardware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version