topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Referrer links to Wall Street Journal from Google, using Website-Watcher  (Read 2843 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm trying to maximize my efficiency in following all this financial stuff by reading the Wall Street Journal.  So, this involves a bunch of things mentioned in the title, mainly referrer links using Google News, and Website Watcher.
So, I've set up Website-Watcher to monitor the search results for WSJ articles.  That works all nice and fine.

Now, for those that don't know, WSJ has much of their content available as Subscription only.  However, if you  use Digg or Google News to go to the articles, then they are free for all (using those referrers).  Now, there's this very annoying problem I've noticed:  the links from Google News to the articles still ask for a subscription more often than you'd like.  What's the deal?  Is WSJ purposefully feeding the wrong info to Google News so it won't work?  It works most of the time, but I'm running into this problem several times a day, it's annoying.

The other way to do it is to snoop the ref, using a plugin for Firefox, but that's kind of wrong.  Snooping the ref always works for digg, but not for google news.  Something is weird there.  Besides I really want to use Website Watcher to do this, so Firefox is out of the question.

I have a feeling this is a problem on WSJ's end, not google news or website-watcher.  If anyone can confirm or suggest a fix, please respond.  THanks.