ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

It's time to do something about these AutoHotkey antivirus false positives

<< < (2/3) > >>

wr975:
AFAIK it's not about AHK, but the compression used when compiling. Uncompressed AHK exes shouldn't be affected. AHK's compiler is a left over from AutoIt, so I don't think something will change soon.

mouser:
AFAIK it's not about AHK, but the compression used when compiling. Uncompressed AHK exes shouldn't be affected. AHK's compiler is a left over from AutoIt, so I don't think something will change soon.
--- End quote ---

There is one flaw in that reasoning.. the false positives always stop after some complaints, but then re-emerge on the next release of ahk.  So it does seem to be version-specific to the ahk releases, at least it seems that way to me.

nosh:
I also suspect it's to do with UPX compression, AHK dumps upx.exe in its 'compiler' folder - perhaps they use the latest version everytime it's available & reverse the whitelisting in the process?

If this is true AHK authors could avoid false positives by using an older UPX that has been whitelisted, I suppose it should work unless ahk2exe has started using some new switch only available to the new version, one could also consider rolling back ahk2exe and whatever else is used for compiling in case of incompatibilities.

lanux128:
the thing about the UPX compression is only partially true. when the script is compiled with upx compression, AV will still mark it as a malware only a slightly different type of malware. check out this thread here.

i've tried compiling my script without upx and also avoid compiling with the latest version of AHK unless it is absolutely necessary but to no avail. i agree it's time we make a concerted effort to make ourselves more vocal. if not, we may end up having to put a big sticky saying our software are free of malware all over the forums in an effort to convince everyone.

mouser:
Our own app103 wrote a nice essay about this with some good links on her blog:
http://cranialsoup.blogspot.com/2008/12/autohotkey-is-not-virus-worm-or-trojan.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version