ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Programs you can use during a financial meltdown!

<< < (4/8) > >>

SirSmiley:
Since XP's an operating system it's kind of moot but, easily replaced with Linux which if memory service me correctly is free. ;)

zridling:
Yea, 40hz nails it. I'm just trying to find your favorite cheaper -- as in price -- alternatives for common commercial software or shareware. If it's FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software), all the better. I even include donationware here, since at the very least, it's affordable to your ability to pay. The Free Software Foundation just listed some holes where coding would be great and save a lot of the money being sent to Adobe, et al. every year.

Dormouse:
I'm not sure that FLOSS is automatically better.

Lots of FLOSS is really dross, and a lot is not well maintained. Big "commercial" enterprises tend to be needed to maintain large and very complex apps (and I do include the 'not for profit' OSS groups here) and most of the apps I really like are developed and maintained by one (or a very small team) of programmers - and many of them like to keep control by maintaining ownership of their code even when they are committed to keeping everything free.

4wd:
Lots of FLOSS is really dross.....
-Dormouse (October 04, 2008, 04:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

DROSS = Dearly Requested Open Source Software

Pretty much everything on Donation Coder could be called DROSS1 then :)

1 - DROSS is trademarked by me!  You use it, I sue!   So there!!!!!

Deozaan:
Free software is software that gives you the user the freedom to share, study and modify it. We call this free software because the user is free.
--- End quote ---
-40hz (October 04, 2008, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Must be one of those "free as in freedom" things as opposed to a "free as in beer" thing.

Thanks for the clarification, 40hz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version