ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Firewall

agnitum outpost v3 - the horror?

<< < (5/7) > >>

mouser:
Ya know, I don't remember having these headaches with my Osborn-1 and it's CP/M operating system.
--- End quote ---

;D

GBark:
Mouser, and others watching for Outpost updates,

Agnitum has releasedv3.0 (557/437) of OutPost Pro. I plan to give it a few weeks before I renew my subscription and upgrade, but the OutPost Forums seem to be running largely in favor of the upgrade.

Of particular note is the fix to the problem of the rules wizard's custom rule dialog not automatically entering the IP of the requested host. I understand that the IP is, once again, provided in the suggested rule. There are lots of other minor fixes and the like and I'd suggest a visit to the forums to watch the proceedings.

The main page for the  forum is: http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/ The announcements thread has a changelog of sorts and is a good place to start.

I sure hope Agnitum has taken the reports of the previous release's ills to heart and made some serious fixes.

mouser:
Of particular note is the fix to the problem of the rules wizard's custom rule dialog not automatically entering the IP of the requested host. I understand that the IP is, once again, provided in the suggested rule.
--- End quote ---

i noted this as well - definitely a good thing to have fixed (i actually posted about this problem a while ago on the outpost forum when i noticed it originally).  was a bad bug and it's good that it's fixed.

on the downside:
agnitum is still not releasing version histories, it's like a gossip mill trying to figure out what is new in each version - BAD SHOW  :down:

Carol Haynes:
it's like a gossip mill trying to figure out what is new in each version - BAD SHOW  :down:
-mouser (December 07, 2005, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe they don't know what's new in each release - they obviously don't seem to try it out before each release otherwise errors like the IP bug would have been spotted on day 1.

Zeph:
agnitum is still not releasing version histories, it's like a gossip mill trying to figure out what is new in each version
--- End quote ---
Actually, they do provide a changelog, they just don't seem to provide a link anywhere on their site to get to it, I can't find one anyway.
Try googling 'outpost firewall changelog' and voila, it finds this. http://agnitum.com/products/outpost/history.php

Why they don't put a link somewhere easy to find is anyones guess though. :-p

i went back to v2.5 for now
--- End quote ---
If you want to stay with the v2.x branch, I can recommoned v2.7, it's the best version of outpost I think. It's a real shame they didn't do a v2.8 that would have been much better than heading down the bloatware path, even if they do provide the option to disable the AS stuff.

i'm on the hunt for a better firewall
--- End quote ---
Have you tried Ghostwall? http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=ghostwall

It doesn't have any bells & whistles, just a lean & mean firewall, nothing else. Plus it's freeware too, which is nice. I use it on a old system I have which is low on resources. It's worth a try if your still hunting. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version