ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019

<< < (10/76) > >>

DonationCoderTransmit:
Thanks for 1.15.01!

Did you decide not to (or forget to) PECompact the main .exe this time? My new .exe is 9MB :-

ClipboardHelpAndSpell.exe
Size: 9442816
Version: 1.12.0.1
CRC-32: B36D063D

Which is up from 1.8MB for the last version. And it still shows the previous version number (1.12.0.1) too, though all the new printing functionality is present and correct.

I suppose file size doesn't matter as much these days, but I'm still of the small-is-beautiful mindset, wherever possible. I UPX'd mine down to about 2.5MB, but if you did forget then maybe you'd like to update the package (and/or just make the PECompact'd .exe available)?

P.S. With my Theme, the status bar has always appeared, uselessly, as just a black bar, because it's picking up my theme's black background (from somewhere), but not changing the default black text, which is thus invisible.

The fault lies with my non-standard theme, I'm sure, but would it be possible, please, to add a user option to change the status bar font color? Or force it to change to contrast with whatever background color appears?

Thanks again :)

Tekzel:
Thanks for 1.15.01!

Did you decide not to (or forget to) PECompact the main .exe this time? My new .exe is 9MB :-

ClipboardHelpAndSpell.exe
Size: 9442816
Version: 1.12.0.1
CRC-32: B36D063D

Which is up from 1.8MB for the last version. And it still shows the previous version number (1.12.0.1) too, though all the new printing functionality is present and correct.

I suppose file size doesn't matter as much these days, but I'm still of the small-is-beautiful mindset, wherever possible. I UPX'd mine down to about 2.5MB, but if you did forget then maybe you'd like to update the package (and/or just make the PECompact'd .exe available)?

-DonationCoderTransmit (September 05, 2007, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

In my mind compacting the executable is a useless action these days, unless you are trying to fit a bunch of stuff on a small usb thumb drive or something.  200gb hard drives are ridiculously cheap these days, and a PE compacted executable still has to be decompressed in memory anyway, which is the only place it would matter now (other than the previous example). 

DonationCoderTransmit:
In my mind compacting the executable is a useless action these days, unless you are trying to fit a bunch of stuff on a small usb thumb drive or something.-Tekzel (September 05, 2007, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
So that's already one example away from "useless". Limited disk size devices like SmartPhones, etc, might be another. I like to keep my backup disk images as small as possible too, for write-speed and storage reasons. (An extra 6MB for CHS isn't an issue alone, but the principle applies of having lots of unnecessarily bigger .exe's).
200gb hard drives are ridiculously cheap these days
--- End quote ---
Maybe for you (and me). But for lots of people the cost of any new disk (no matter the capacity) is prohibitive: those on a budget; those is developing countries; many schools; etc, etc. I don't think it's sound to assume that everyone can treat disks as cheap, however much the $/GB keeps falling.

But maybe Mouser didn't forget, maybe he has performance or other reasons for the change. I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mousehill.

mouser:
I like PECompact a lot, but i've recently stopped compacting my programs after a very painful episode.
During a marathon of bugfixing for "Find and Run Robot" I noticed that every so often the program was crashing on exit.  It was rare but i spent days trying to track down the problem with no luck.  Eventually i set up a little stress test that would run FARR, do some stuff, then exit it, hundreds of times in a row.  Eventually I tried comparing a version compacted with uncompacted and sure enough it was only happening on the compacted one.  So I decided for now to stop compacting the programs.

Now I should say that PECompact has a ton of options, and it's author is a brilliant guy so I wouldn't be at all surprised if what we are dealing with here isn't a failure to adjust some setting which is only causing trouble for FARR because it does so much dynamic dll loading and unloading of plugins.  I've just got so much on my plate currently that i thought i'd skip the compacting for a while to eliminate one possible source of problems.

DonationCoderTransmit:
Thanks for the interesting explanation, Mouser.

I just noticed that PECompact has a freeware version too, and I've crunched mine down to 2.1MB now (about .5MB better than UPX). I'll go back to the original if it starts crashing ;)

Just a suggestion, but this topic (your new policy, the reasons, the possibility for users to compact their own if they wish) might make an interesting paragraph in the next newsletter.

I understand that my peculiar status line issue will have to wait at least until quieter times :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version