ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019

<< < (64/76) > >>

IainB:
...Regarding arranging the tree alphabetically -- you must manually drag and drop to reorder groups in the tree.
-mouser (February 28, 2017, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

@mouser: I already tried that and it doesn't seem to work. Tried it again just now, with same result. Maybe I am doing it wrong? We're taking about the tree in the Tree pane here - right?
In fact trying to move stuff around manually like that in the tre seems to be really difficult/kludgy in CHS, so I figured it was not in the design.
Maybe there is an option I need to set somewhere?   :tellme:
In any event, whilst having to do it manually might actually be useful and OK for small trees or groups, it could be too tedious in a larger/more complex tree, and so it would be best to have an automated option in those cases (also less error-prone).

Request: New option for Alphameric (Ascending/Descending) sorting in the whole tree or just in a specified group/sub-group, please.

mouser:
@mouser: I already tried that and it doesn't seem to work. Tried it again just now, with same result. Maybe I am doing it wrong? We're taking about the tree in the Tree pane here - right?
In fact trying to move stuff around manually like that in the tre seems to be really difficult/kludgy in CHS, so I figured it was not in the design.
--- End quote ---

You know, you are right.  You can drag and drop groups to move them in and out of parents in order to hierarchically arrange them, but you can't reorder them within a group using drag and drop.

To change their relative order WITHIN a group, right-click and edit the group and then change the DISPLAY ORDER WEIGHT setting -- the lower it is the higher in the order it is.

IainB:
Ah, OK. Thanks for that. I shall try as you suggest. (Is this an "undocumented feature"?)

Made me think: If you just sort of discovered it as well, then does it mean that I am the only CHS user to have experienced/reported this problem? I would have thought that other CHS users would have experienced similar problems - no?
Maybe I might be "pushing the technical boundaries" as a user of CHS.    :D

It's certainly one of the most useful info-gathering and storing tools that I have. It's actually the first one I usually rely on in my info-gathering processes.

IainB:
@mouser:
To change their relative order WITHIN a group, right-click and edit the group and then change the DISPLAY ORDER WEIGHT setting -- the lower it is the higher in the order it is.
-mouser (March 01, 2017, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Since you wrote the above I have installed CHS v2.41 Portable High-DPI Beta, but I don't think that version had been changed as regards the alphameric sorting problem in the Tree pane of the CHS GUI - the problem being that there appears to be no facility for such sorting.

Sadlement, your suggestion (quoted above, and which I have tried) is kinda useless to all intents and purposes - it does not really address the problem and at best would seem to be simply an impractical, tedious manual kludge that arguably nobody would find of much practical use.
I don't wish to appear ungrateful, but would I be correct in taking your response, therefore, as an indication that you don't intend adding the alphameric tree-sorting functionality that would seem to be clearly lacking in the Tree pane?    :tellme:

mouser:
would I be correct in taking your response, therefore, as an indication that you don't intend adding the alphameric tree-sorting functionality that would seem to be clearly lacking in the Tree pane? 
--- End quote ---

It wouldn't be too hard for me to add a right-click function on a group node that said "Sort children alphabetically".
This function would simply set the "DISPLAY ORDER WEIGHT" of each child so that it showed alphabetically.  You could always manually change child weights to rearrange after that.
Note that newly added children would require performing the operation again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version