ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019

<< < (58/76) > >>

dr_andus:
I have never tried CHS but I'm just wondering, how is CHS's performance once the database gets large such as 400MB+?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a ClipCache Pro database of that size, and ClipCache is painfully slow now with any operation involving that database.

My laptop is reasonably powerful (core i7 5500U, 16GB RAM).

Basically I'm wondering if CHS could handle working with databases of this size better. E.g. I wanted to delete the larger clippings there, or put them into folders by year, but everything is so slow (freezes) that it's just not feasible with ClipCache.

The other thing I'm wondering if it's at all possible to import a ClipCache database into CHS.

IainB:
@dr_andus: I'd be interested in any CHS performance factors/limitations you may discover on this. Please could you post your results here, as and when any turn up?

mouser:
how is CHS's performance once the database gets large such as 400MB+?
--- End quote ---

That's a good question, but i don't know the answer.. If there is interest we could find out -- I could write a function that generates some random clip data and we can see how it performs.

My suspicion is that, assuming the clips are in different "folders", so that it's not trying to sort and search 400mb of data at a time, that CHS will perform pretty well, but that's just my guess.  It's also quite possible that it performs very similarly to ClipCache... A factor involved here is how many clips there are (a relatively small number of large clips will perform better i would guess than a million clips).

What I will say is that CHS does try to "help" you not accumulate 400mb worth of clip data, by employing configurable options that will automatically move default (non-favorited) captured clips by default from new to old to trash groups.

As for importing, CHS doesn't have a way to import clips (though it can export them).  I would be willing to write a simple import function if you can get your data out of your existing program in a fairly clean and simple format.  The easiest would be one line per clip, with a line being just the clip text, no extra data like date, etc.

dr_andus:
Hi mouser - thanks for your reply.

There doesn't seem to be an export function in ClipCache (and it can only import its own older version files).

Yes, the problem is that I have now one mega folder with 46,375 clips accumulated over 4 years, ranging in size from a couple of bytes to 16MB. No matter how I sort it or what I try to do with it, it now takes minutes to complete every operation (such as sort by size or date or search).

This was not by design. I just never had the patience to figure out the app and develop a workflow. Instead, it just runs in the background and saves every clip. This might not be an optimal workflow but it has the advantage that I can find things that I never knew I had (such when I find that I lost a bit of text somewhere ages ago and then I find a copy of it in ClipCache, which is a godsend).

So for me this is a backup solution, as none of my other backups protect me from some apps truncating text while I'm working on it or from me accidentally deleting text. The clipboard memory can be a last resort in finding lost stuff.

I guess I just have to start a new database, so that the current one stops growing.

Don't trouble yourself with the import script. I'll just need to take CHS for a test drive, as I'm curious about those rules you mentioned. Though I wouldn't want to defeat the unconscious backup function.

tomos:
I'll just need to take CHS for a test drive, as I'm curious about those rules you mentioned. Though I wouldn't want to defeat the unconscious backup function.
-dr_andus (October 03, 2016, 05:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can stop it deleting anything.
I do remember having some performance issues some years back when I had everything being saved (unfortunately I cant find any record of it). I think it better as mouser says to group older clips in folders maybe by date.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version