ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

'Everything' is one FAST file search engine

<< < (14/18) > >>

nosh:
Hehe! Yeah, I wasn't too kicked about that "leap" in speed. I'm hoping for features like results by category & thumbnail view for images.

J-Mac:
Thanks Nosh.

Though I have been using the previous beta version and the "Check for Updates" link said I had the latest - even a few minutes ago. Doesn’t work I guess.

Jim

J-Mac:
one problem I have had with Everything, and actually with RecentX also, is that they try to index changes in real-time.  If I am copying a large number of files with Directy Opus, or for that matter if I am moving them, archiving them into a zip archive - any file operation that involves large numbers of files - both Everything and RecentX start spinning to update their indices with those changes. On some occasions RecentX is using 40 - 45% CPU and Everything is close behind with 25 - 30%. Throw in a little activity from NOD32 - which apparently wants to see what all the hubbub is about - and Directory Opus can't even get the copying done because there aren't enough CPU resources left for it! of course this delays the entire copy/move/archive process and thus causes both RecentX and Everything to both sit there spinning - and using CPU - waiting for the job to continue.

I usually end up closing or ending processes for both. Wish they had a way to regulate their indexing.

Jim

superboyac:
I usually end up closing or ending processes for both. Wish they had a way to regulate their indexing.
-J-Mac (February 10, 2009, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Is this something Process Tamer can handle?

nosh:
Everything itself has priority settings for its 'Icon Load' and 'Read File Info' threads, both are set to idle by default. 25-30% consumption does seem on the high side, though so I guess the 'Read File Info' is about updating the results list and nothing to do with indexing.

I wish there was a slightly more open way to interact with the author than 1 on 1 emailing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version