ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: synch local/remote folder on demand, with rt monitor

(1/3) > >>

insert_nick:
I'd like a program where I create "projects", and inside them I specify a list of local folders and the corresponding remote ones to be synched via ftp.
I would like it to act as follows:

I click on checkboxes near some projects, or near some folders under the projects, and click a button "Start monitor changes on filesystem". The app should log in a file every change I do into the selected folders.
Then, I should be able to click a "Commit changes" button, in order to synch local and remote stuff.

I've found the following two freeware tools similar to this concept, but both follow a different approach:
FTP Sync
and
DSynchronize

* the first one makes a realtime synchronization, i.e. whenever I make a change in the specified folder, it is not logged anywhere, but committed asap.
* the second one is more complex and well-done, and commits when I click a button, but it does not monitor and log changes while they are done: it just traverse the remote and local folders, and takes its time to check if something is changed/different
Both nice, but not what I would like: I repeat, a silent tool that sits in my tray and "writes down" every change I make on filesystem in specified folders (or groups of folders, i.e. "projects"). Then, in no time other then that required to transfer/delete files via ftp, it should commit those changes only when I ask it to do that. Of course at every successful commit, the "log" file should be deleted (or renamed), so next time it can start with an empty one.

VideoInPicture:
Hmmm, I think this would take a lot of work to implement if writing it from scratch (I'm not familiar with an open source program that can be made to do this).

This sounds quite similar to what SVN type software do since programmers use it to check out parts of a project and later upload it to the managing server so it can be synched. SVN keeps track of all the changes that happen inside a folder and what gets created or deleted. When you check the part of the project back in to the server, just the changes are recorded. A side benefit of SVN is that you get a history of your files at points in time since it keeps track of changes.

insert_nick:
Thanks for reply. Yes I know SVN, but I was searching for a simpler and straightforward solution without the need of a SVN server or something like that, just plain FTP and a bit of good habits.

Digging better, I've found this free and open source tool, still not tried but from the description it seem quite similar to what I suggested: FTP Web Projects Publisher
I'm going to try it now, and let know here if it's ok.

insert_nick:
Tried. It's a very nice tool, just exactly what I suggested.
I'd need only one more thing: it should synch also the stuff I delete locally, i.e. if I delete something it should delete it also on the remote server, while now it does not. Of course a confirmation prompt for every file going to be deleted would be a good thing.

VideoInPicture:
That looks like a sweet app and it's built using VB.net too so I can understand the code too! Well, at least be able to read through the code. Perhaps you could try sending the author of that application an e-mail and see if he's still interested in making updates?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version