ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (39/54) > >>

Carol Haynes:
The trouble is that MS complied with a previous EU directive and produced editions of Windows XP (the N editions) that don't contain extra MS software (such as WMP) with the exception of IE. The net effect was that the 'N' versions were more expensive than the standard version. Who is going to pay more for a product that has fewer features?

The EU could argue that the 'N' versions should be cheaper but MS would argue that the cost of producing extra versions with low demand justifies a higher price.

What I don't really understand is why Apple doesn't come in for the same criticism with its inclusion of iPhoto and iTunes etc. I also don't really understand how Apple are allowed to restrict their product to their own hardware sales - they are after all selling operating systems separate to the hardware.

And what about Linux distros that are 'sold' bundled with Gigabytes of software. Surely they should play by the same rules and sell 'application free' products too. Free download distros could also be restricted to 'application free' ISOs so that users have to choose the applications they want.

People may not like the MS dominance (I don't particularly even though I use Windows, MS Office etc) but no one can really argue that MS is not in large part responsible for the spread of personal computing. I don't really understand the argument that market dominance gives MS an unfair advantage in the applications market when they are supplied free with the OS.

For example should an OS be able to write to DVD-R and DVD-RW these days without 3rd party software? If so then doesn't the market monoply argument rule because the OS is removing the need for 3rd party writer software and if not why should the OS be able to write to hard disc (after all NVIDIA supply drivers for their motherboards - perhaps all motherboards should provide their own IDE/SATA drivers - with all the issues that would cause) ???

Eóin:
And what about Linux distros that are 'sold' bundled with Gigabytes of software. Surely they should play by the same rules and sell 'application free' products too. Free download distros could also be restricted to 'application free' ISOs so that users have to choose the applications they want.-Carol Haynes (February 03, 2009, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah I never got that, expect that I suppose you really have to go after MS first. But if things are to be done fairly then the EU should have some equally serious issues to go after Apple with.

As for stuff being bundled free, well we all know every thing we're not charged for just has it's cost absorbed in the things we do pay for.

40hz:
What I don't really understand is why Apple doesn't come in for the same criticism with its inclusion of iPhoto and iTunes etc. I also don't really understand how Apple are allowed to restrict their product to their own hardware sales - they are after all selling operating systems separate to the hardware.
-Carol Haynes (February 03, 2009, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you could explain the Incredible Apple Teflon Effect, you'd "grok in fullness" the fundamental nature of our Universe far better than Siddhartha and Einstein combined.

In the meantime, I'll continue to sit and wait for fuller understanding....

Shanti! 8)

---------------
People may not like the MS dominance (I don't particularly even though I use Windows, MS Office etc) but no one can really argue that MS is not in large part responsible for the spread of personal computing.
--- End quote ---

I'd actually take it further than that. I would argue Microsoft was the single largest factor in the initial spread of personal computing. Credit where credit is due. (eek! :tellme:)

Lashiec:

And what about Linux distros that are 'sold' bundled with Gigabytes of software. Surely they should play by the same rules and sell 'application free' products too. Free download distros could also be restricted to 'application free' ISOs so that users have to choose the applications they want.
-Carol Haynes (February 03, 2009, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not enough market share to push the computing world in one way or another due to the inclusion of that software. While in the case of WMP, one could argue that the general crappiness of the main competitors (QuickTime and, especially, Real, which, BTW, were the main complainers) pushed the media player world in the Microsoft direction (until the marriage of the iPod and the iTunes), in the case of IE the inclusion really meant the web should accomodate Microsoft desires instead of the other way around. Thankfully, this has been totally reversed, and in this regard, the EU ruling comes too late, as Opera Software complaint. And I'll stop here before we get into politics discussing if Neelie Kroes is an US-business hater, a hero for the free market, or whatever.

After this short break, let's put the thread on the right path (:P) with an "unexpected" announcement

So, Home Premium or Professional? (I wonder if the former will include RDC this time).

40hz:
After this short break, let's put the thread on the right path (:P) with an "unexpected" announcement

So, Home Premium or Professional? (I wonder if the former will include RDC this time)
-Lashiec (February 03, 2009, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Six editions?

<!sigh!>

Well...here we go again.

-----

BTW: Hey Lash! Whaddya mean by "on the right path"? You can't intelligently discuss Microsoft anything without also looking at the bigger picture. Windows 7 is not going to just be a software product - it's also going to be a factor for social and business changes.

It's really not so much what Win7 will be able to do, as it is where Microsoft plans on taking us.

Where do you want to go today? Oh, never mind. Why not just let Microsoft tell you. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version