ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (34/54) > >>

40hz:
find out which file is launched from the DVD when it is inserted and double click that - it should allow you launch the installer -Carol Haynes (January 30, 2009, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Windows 7 still uses setup.exe for the installer.

Edvard:
In that case copy the contents of the whole ISO into a folder in your existing partition and then look in AutoRun.INF to find out which file is launched from the DVD when it is inserted and double click that - it should allow you launch the installer from Windows and then make sure you choose a fresh install in a new partition.
-Carol Haynes (January 30, 2009, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
EXACTLY what I intended to do. Unfortunately, I discovered there is no AutoRun.inf or Setup.exe on my vLite'd ISO, so I'm going to try to copy them over and try again tonight.

Carol Haynes:
If it isn't a daft question why use vLite on a beta installation of Windows 7? If you are installing to an empty partition why not just use the proper installer - there will probably be enough issues because it is a beta version without adding vLite into the mix?

FWIW I got some feedback via the MS forums about the mysterious hiding the currently active OS when you install Win 7 beta on a separate partition. Apparently there were some partition table corruption problems when Vista beta was first released and so to avoid the issue recurring they decided to hide the original operating system from Win7.

Personally I think this is a ludicrous solution as they are writing the partition table every time you swap OS on your system and it seems to me to make it more likely they will corrupt your system! How difficult is it for a company like MS to get partition tables right - nothing much has changed in years with partition tables!!!

Edvard:
If it isn't a daft question why use vLite on a beta installation of Windows 7? If you are installing to an empty partition why not just use the proper installer - there will probably be enough issues because it is a beta version without adding vLite into the mix?
-Carol Haynes (January 30, 2009, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not a daft question at all... I suppose I haven't revealed all the details:

1- I have no way to burn the ISO to a DVD. The only suitable media I have is a 4 Gig USB stick.
2- The Win7 ISO is 4.6 Gigabytes... 600 Megabytes too large for the USB media.
3- My target box has no DVD player nor does it have capability to boot from USB media. I didn't care until now.
4- My target box is a 1GHz Celeron with 512 Mb RAM. Any resources I can shave off by using vLite can only help, and I'm not entirely sure I would be successful even with a proper installation DVD.

So, all my canoodling is simply a sorry attempt to deal with the physical limitations of my particular set of resources.
 :(

justice:
If we all pay 1 credit each you can easily buy a dvd recorder and be done with it what you think? edit: done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version