ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (25/54) > >>

f0dder:
Thanks for the tip, justice! I managed to get VS2008 installed though - the ISO is on my linux fileserver, so I mounted that through a loop device and exported it under /tmp , and fortunately the VS2008 setup can handle UNC paths (and doesn't require being installed from a CD/DVD media).

But the slysoft app could come in handy for other apps :)

Hirudin:
Btw, I really love the new taskbar. It might be *cough* inspired *cough* by OS X (although I think the jumplists and other stuff goes beyond that?), but I don't really care. The important thing is that it's a good step forward, and that it finally feels right to dock the bar to the edge of the screen rather than the bottom.
...-f0dder (January 15, 2009, 01:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
I plan to dock on the side as well, left for me. I already dock a "shortcuts" folder to the left side and am looking forward to being able to combine both menus into one.

I was thinking, I think Microsoft should take the thumbnail view one step farther: instead of using the program icons as the taskbar buttons, just use the thumbnails. Personally, I set my taskbar to auto hide, and I make it big (3 rows tall). I think it would be very cool to see all my running apps along the bottom of the screen. I'll make a mock-up...

From this...

To something like this...

Icons too...

Carol Haynes:
I was thinking, I think Microsoft should take the thumbnail view one step farther: instead of using the program icons as the taskbar buttons, just use the thumbnails. Personally, I set my taskbar to auto hide, and I make it big (3 rows tall). I think it would be very cool to see all my running apps along the bottom of the screen. I'll make a mock-up...
-Hirudin (January 15, 2009, 03:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

That wouldn't work because there may be many thumbnails to one application taskbar button. For example open a word processor and then open 5 documents and you still have the WP icon on the bar but 5 thumbnails.

The other problem would be that the thumbnails wouldn't necessarily be distinctive enough - you would still have to hover to find out what they are.

f0dder:
Hm, interesting idea wrt. thumbnails-for-buttons, but I think it would get messy quickly. It could be relatively difficult to distinguish between running apps, unless you have huge previews. I certainly wouldn't like it as a default - but could be an interesting option.

OK, the slysoft VirtualCD app works like a charm :Thmbsup:

So, next thing: how do I manually add things to "run at startup"? The usual procedure of opening the "StartUp" folder from the start menu and creating shortcuts doesn't work - Win7 won't let me add shortcuts there.

Hirudin:
Yeah, making them a little bigger might be good. If there's more than one window open, just have more than one thumbnail on the taskbar. I was thinking that the program icon could be superimposed on top of the thumbnail, kind of best of both worlds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version