ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (20/54) > >>

Darwin:
Well, as far as i can see from screenshots, the Win 7 installer offers the same 4 "versions" as Vista, so we will have the same stupid user-unfriendly obnoxious choice.

PPS, what URL?  ;)
-nontroppo (January 04, 2009, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why the one missing from my previous post, of course!   ;D

I had tried to link to the Bill Pytlovany blog post directly but no matter what I tried it failed to lead to anything other than an error page...

zridling:
CNET's Renai LeMay confuses me. She starts with this stunning theme sentence:

Windows 7 could be one of Microsoft's greatest operating systems, if it fulfills the promise shown by the unofficial beta version (build 7000) we have been testing for the past couple of days.

only to end with this qualification:
...Microsoft has spent a lot of effort with Windows 7 on delivering a solid operating system that won't "wow" anyone....

But then goes on to say:
I want to stress that we didn't test the Windows 7 beta exhaustively....

Are Apple devs the worst ever?
Windows 7 didn't thrash the hard disk or ever feel unresponsive, except when we were installing Apple's iTunes, a notorious pain on Windows systems.

MrCrispy:
The Win 7 public beta will be out sometime between tonight and tomorrow and next 2 days.

One of the mistakes Microsoft made with Vista was allowing OEM's (and Intel shares a very large part of this blame) to label even their crappy low end configs with slow cpu's, low Ram and integrated graphics as Vista-ready, which led to a lot of grief. Home Premium should be the bare minimum.

nontroppo:
One of the mistakes Microsoft made with Vista was allowing OEM's (and Intel shares a very large part of this blame) to label even their crappy low end configs with slow cpu's, low Ram and integrated graphics as Vista-ready, which led to a lot of grief. Home Premium should be the bare minimum.
-MrCrispy (January 07, 2009, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, as other OS vendors have been doing, and now MS themselves are seeming to do with Win 7, it *is* possible to make a revised OS without sinking low-end machines in the first place. I agree that Microsoft's inability to optimise their OS until SP2 (Windows 7) *was* compounded by PC vendors desperate for sales pushing hardware that Microsoft was incapable of optimising for in the 5 years Vista took to bake, but you can hardly blame them.

Carol Haynes:
According to Windows Secrets the new beta is set to expire around 1st August encouraging speculation that Windows 7 will be released this year. Given that MS have extended the distribution of OEM WinXP until the 30th May it seems that even MS have given up and finally admitted that Vista has been a bad experience for everyone ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version