ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (7/54) > >>

40hz:
This in from Windows 7 News ( http://windows7news.com/ )

Channel9 announced recently that they will post recordings of all PDC08 sessions on their website for everyone to view. Each session should not take more than 24 hours after taking place to find its way on the Channel 9 homepage which is an excellent opportunity for anyone not attending to view the sessions and discover all the exciting news about Windows 7.
--- End quote ---

Link to full article: http://windows7news.com/2008/10/20/channel-9-to-offer-all-pdc08-sessions/

This is welcome news for anyone who needs to stay on top of Windows 7 yet doesn't have 4 free days; airfare to LA, and a $2,395 registration fee(!) handy.

Thank you Mssrs. Blair and Brinkmann of Windows 7 News :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

nosh:
I just don't like web apps...I think that's it.  I don't like the way they feel, if that makes any sense.
-superboyac (October 21, 2008, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have to agree. Even if speed isn't that much of a problem (I don't have high-speed broadband here but I remember browsing from a public library in Toronto, I'd click on a normal sized mp3 online and it would start playing like it was on the HDD), reliability very much is, and will be for years to come. How often does one witness technology fcuking up at the highest level? CNN/BBC anchors losing audio with each other... :/
Online apps make excellent backup alternatives but it would really suck to be shut out of your OS coz the Internets are broken.

How off topic am I?
--- End quote ---
Not off topic enough to stop me from taking it a bit further. :P

40hz:
I just don't like web apps...I think that's it.  I don't like the way they feel, if that makes any sense.

As far as being able to work anywhere and stuff, I'd prefer to just setup a robust synchronization system based upon my personal needs rather than have an OS manage it all in a general way.
-superboyac (October 21, 2008, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

You are not alone in your opinion. I can't stand web apps. I still call my computer a personal computer.

We spent the last 30 years getting away from time-sharing terminals on tightly controlled mainframes. Now it seems we're trying to go right back there. The only real difference between a web app and a terminal/mainframe "solution" is that the terminals are smarter; and the monolithic mainframes have since been reborn as clusters of machines spread out all over creation. This is progress?

Then there's 'reality' to think about. I saw a major US city completely paralyzed by the destruction of only two of its major buildings just a few years ago. In the wake of that, why would anybody want to put all their computing eggs in one basket? Is the Internet backbone really all that bulletproof? It was designed to absorb physical damage - not cyber-attacks. The very technologies that allow its datagrams to withstand a nuclear strike also make it very difficult to hunt down and extinguish any malware that exploits its decentralized robustness.

This is not paranoia. This is the simple acknowledgment that a major piece of critical technology is built on a foundation of wishful thinking about how the world would use it. William Gibson summed it up best with his most famous quote: "The Street finds its own uses for things."

IMHO -"web for everything" is a real bad idea. Dangerous too. :nono2:

How off topic am I?
--- End quote ---

Dunno...looks to me like you rammed a wooden stake right into the heart of the subject. :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar:
It's a shame there's really no way to display emphasis in programming, otherwise I'd have used it in conjunction with:
--- ---Portable Software > * ;)

Ehtyar.

MrCrispy:
Web based/cloud computing is not just limited to running apps on remote servers. There's nothing preventing an app having a cached local copy of its program, data and services, and using that for performance, and accessing the cloud when its not cached, to update itself etc. In fact .NET contains these mechanisms today. At work we have intranet apps deployed using ClickOnce that run locally, but if there's a new version it gets downloaded and installed locally automatically.

Cloud computing is also the only way I see to have a truly universal presence - i.e having the same computing experience no matter where you are or what device you use to access the cloud (i.e. the internet). Think about email. Today many of us take webmail for granted. I know for sure that without gmail I would never be able to send/receive mail from multiple places and have it all be in sync. Could you do this with a normal desktop email client? Esp without IMAP?

The way I see it, Azure is Microsoft's technology to bring highly scalable distributed apps, the sort of thing Google does (gmail, search, maps) to the Windows audience with a very strong developer base.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version