ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (40/54) > >>

Lashiec:
The thing is that, with or without IE (blergh, I prefer the U2 version) into Windows, the browser is losing market share every month, and even if they greatly fixed their ways with versions 7 and 8, I seriously doubt they will regain a considerable number of users.

WMP is also no threat to anyone, with iTunes and Winamp right there, and tons of others jukeboxes and players available and some being used in considerable numbers.

And finally, Microsoft moved Windows Live Mail and Movie Maker outside the OS, so that leaves them with practically nothing else, apart from maybe Media Center. So, unless mouser plans to sue Microsoft for the Start Menu search functions and the Snipping Tool, there's no much else to complain. Or I'm missing some critical app. Or (I hope not) Microsoft deliberately left a Trojan horse in Windows 7 without anyone knowing.

I'm more worried about some of the other things they're doing, like pushing Games for Windows down the throat of PC gamers, which makes them jump through hoops and hoops of nonsense using software that barely works. No wonder PC gaming is "dying".

Edvard:
2- The Win7 ISO is 4.6 Gigabytes... 600 Megabytes too large for the USB media.
-Edvard (January 30, 2009, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
How? (see attachment in previous post)
-Hirudin (February 03, 2009, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wha...?
:wallbash:
I could have sworn it was >4G...

(grumble... mumble... short-term memory... mumble)

nontroppo:
Perhaps the largest change, however, is Microsoft's recognition of the netbook market. Previously, Microsoft sold its Starter software only into emerging markets. Now, the company has positioned Starter as an ideal entry point for extending Windows 7 into netbooks. The catch? Like other Starter editions, that netbook will only run three applications at a time, an arbitrary limitation the software imposes.
--- End quote ---
{source}

WTF!!!?!?!?!!? Why oh why would any OS vendor limit their OS to running 3 apps at a time. It makes cutting out Aero as Vista did seem generous. So I'm researching a web article to mail to a friend, making notes in word as I go along. If my antivirus opens its UI, I have to close one of my others. What if heavens forbid, I want to listen to music while working!? Holy schnitzel...

Darwin:
As far as I can tell, the three app limit is Netbook only and I surmise it's to keep users from overloading the hardware - non?

zridling:
Don't have the link, (chris pirillo?), but Microsoft announced that Win7 will be sold in five flavors compared to Vista's six. Still three to many to me. Offer both 32- and 64-bit versions on a dual layer disc and let the customer choose how much or little to install. Make it so that they can always go back and install more if needed.

EDIT: Here's the link. I don't count the Enterprise license for desktop use, of course.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3456

* Windows 7 Starter Edition (aimed at emerging markets and netbooks)

* Windows 7 Home Basic (aimed at emerging markets)

* Windows 7 Home Premium (primary home edition)

* Windows 7 Professional (primary business edition)

* Windows 7 Ultimate (for consumers who wants everything)

* Windows 7 Enterprise (volume license only)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version