ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ASUS mobo dead

<< < (3/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
In the UK the supplier handles the RMA process normally for a period of time. ASUS boards are guaranteed for 3 years but few shops/retailers are going to provide RMA support for 3 years.

I can't get the board to post any more at all - I have stripped it to only CPU, 1 memory stick (which is fine because it works faultlessly in my other system) and a graphics card - there is nothing else attached and I have tried 2 different PSUs. It doesn't even get as far as  a beep code.

4wd:
In the UK the supplier handles the RMA process normally for a period of time. ASUS boards are guaranteed for 3 years but few shops/retailers are going to provide RMA support for 3 years.
-Carol Haynes (September 25, 2008, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info Carol.

Good luck with ASUS.

Carol Haynes:
Actually I went to the ASUS website and they said go to your supplier. The supplier website we only provide RMA support for 12 months, and then only for manufacturers that don't handle RMAs directly.

I decided to ask for an RMA anyway at the supplier (Overclockers UK) and they said OK. So  now I have to box it up and send it back for testing. Last time I did that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. How do you ensure a motherboard doesn't work without any obvious physical damage?

4wd:
I decided to ask for an RMA anyway at the supplier (Overclockers UK) and they said OK. So  now I have to box it up and send it back for testing. Last time I did that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. How do you ensure a motherboard doesn't work without any obvious physical damage?
-Carol Haynes (September 26, 2008, 06:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Put some electrostatic discharge into it :)

Make sure the board is not grounded in anyway, sit it on some polystyrene foam.  Charge up something that you know will generate a decent ESD spark and zap it a few times.  If you can't get a spark to jump, try connecting a ground wire to one of the mounting screw holes.

eg. Our vacuum cleaner has metal tube for the wand, I know if I wear the wrong socks while doing the vacuuming I can generate up to a 1/2 inch spark when I put it near a metal fixture, (bed frame, piping, etc).
Not to mention it gives me one hell of a wallop if I forget to discharge the b*gger before touching it.

If you've got a peizo gas igniter gun, use that a few times on it.

Shouldn't leave any trace but will probably kill a couple of ICs.

Carol Haynes:
OK - they have admited the motherboard was faulty and suplied a replacement.

I sent them an ASUS Socket 939 (supporting Athlon64 X2 chips) board with PCIe SLI support etc.

The replacement is a Socket 478 Intel board with AGP graphics!!

They have agreed they got it wrong but say they are unlikely to be able to source the correct board for replacement. How can a company offer 3 years warranty and not have access to replacements for the period of the warranty? They now plan to offer a refund on the mobo - but then what do you do with a 939 CPU and DDR memory?

Talk about frustrating!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version