ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2 questions for shareware authors

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
so we released a new app here (Unicode Image Maker), and each time we do i have to go around and manually submit these pad files to different software sites so that people will find out about our programs.  It's really annoying.  I use shareware .pad files which help a lot, but some sites inexplicably still do not take them and require you to enter by hand.  even those that do are often a real pain.

question 1:
has anyone tried those automatic software submission programs? do they work well?  i'd love for dc to host a review of such tools if anyone is willing to take on that.

question 2:
the natural place to find out people's opinion on this seems like maybe it would be shareware association newsgroups, but they are private and require membership.  membership is $100 a year - OUCH, thats a huge amount for us.  and our soft is not shareware.  question 2 is, anyone a member of shareware association? do you think its worth the membership dues?

Carol Haynes:
question 2 is, anyone a member of shareware association? do you think its worth the membership dues?
--- End quote ---

Or perhaps they could pass on the odd question you have ;)

aignes:
so we released a new app here (Unicode Image Maker), and each time we do i have to go around and manually submit these pad files to different software sites so that people will find out about our programs.  It's really annoying.  I use shareware .pad files which help a lot, but some sites inexplicably still do not take them and require you to enter by hand.  even those that do are often a real pain.

question 1:
has anyone tried those automatic software submission programs? do they work well?
--- End quote ---

I use Promosoft from http://www.develab.net/ and it works well for me. Submissions work in approx. 80% of the supported sites, 20% of the submissions end in an error. Has also a nice search feature to verify on how many pages you are listed.

Another tool which is often recommended is Robosoft but I have never used it. Available at http://rudenko.com/robosoft/

question 2 is, anyone a member of shareware association? do you think its worth the membership dues?
--- End quote ---

yes, I'm a member of ASP-Shareware for several years now and it worth the money, at least for me.

Veign:
yes, I'm a member of ASP-Shareware for several years now and it worth the money, at least for me.
-aignes (November 17, 2005, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

What do you get out of it that makes it worth it?  I have also looked into a membership but just can't justify the cost..

Veign:
I use shareware .pad files which help a lot, but some sites inexplicably still do not take them and require you to enter by hand.  even those that do are often a real pain.
-mouser (November 14, 2005, 01:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm in the same boat as you and manually submit applications using the PAD files.  I have compiled and maintain a list where my applications are - this list tells me if they support PAD submissions and if they require an account to submit software.

List:
http://www.veign.com/download_sites.asp

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version