ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 -- ribbons for everyone!

<< < (2/16) > >>

TucknDar:
The office ribbon confuses me. I'm using Softmaker office at home, but Office2007 at work. There's no way to turn the damn thing off is there?

fenixproductions:
2TucknDar
I couldn't find free solution (except hiding Ctrl+F1).

One of the commercial:
http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice/default.htm

tranglos:
The office ribbon confuses me. I'm using Softmaker office at home, but Office2007 at work. There's no way to turn the damn thing off is there?
-TucknDar (September 19, 2008, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can minimize it, but there's no way to go back to the old menus and toolbars. There is a paid third-party add-on that restores the old-style interface in Office 2007, but I'm afraid I can't recall its name.

tranglos:
Well... I love it in Office, but using it on wordpad seems like a bit of overkill, there's only one "tab"! (or whatever its name it)
-jgpaiva (September 19, 2008, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's an interesting presentation by the UI designer who was in charge of the ribbon, over 90 minutes long:
http://msstudios.vo.llnwd.net/o21/mix08/08_WMVs/UX09.wmv

He makes a lot of good points, made me appreciate the ribbon a little more, though I still don't use Office 2007. His narrative of gathering usage data and the prototyping process is intriguing. Near the end, during Q&A, he says exactly what you're saying: the ribbon is meant for applications with hundreds of commands and otherwise "busy" UIs. It was not intended for simpler programs due to the various trade-offs involved and the screen estate it takes. (And the idea I get from the presentation is that the ribbon was certainly not invented just to look pretty.)

tranglos:
I think this new type of interface is a waste of screen real-estate.
Classically these tool bars were on the side of the screen, which makes more sense imo, because a monitor is typically more wide than it is tall.
-Gothi[c] (September 19, 2008, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

In the presentation of the ribbon design process (see my post above) the designer said they prototyped the ribbon as a sidebar, but abandoned it for two reasons. One, he says users felt more confident with commands at the top. Two - he was afraid if they placed the ribbon at the side, the ribbon would quickly develop a scrollbar, since vertical scrolling is such a common UI construct. But horizontal scrolling isn't so convenient, so placing the ribbon at the top ensured that no-one would try to do that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version