ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Text Editor

UltraEdit 11 - Best text editor?

<< < (3/11) > >>

mouser:
i think what we will try to do from now on, is try make the review available a couple of days ahead of time to members of the elite ASRT members, for early comment and review.

this would avoid the scenario just experienced where one of the members on this forum knows better than the reviewer of a flaw in a program or error in the review, and let us fix these things before the review goes public.

SindbaD:
Hello,
I don't agree with your review.
First: PsPad's word wrapping really has a big bug (but it's bug is coming from Synedit, the base component of PsPad, as far as I know), but PsPad has a lot of other features which are make it more useful as any other editor.
Because word wrapping can be avoided, but other features, as interactive clips, templates, scripting, etc... make the work with PsPad more fast than with other editors.

Second: Description of VIM contains some serious mistakes:
- VIM has code folding!!! Even, VIM has great code folding: You can use code folding as your convenient, it can be based on code structure, or you can set it manual, these can be nested, etc...  It is fully customizable!
- VIM search: absolutely not poor! When you use dialog box, it's simple, yes. But if you youse search/replace in command mode you have a lot of option to fine tune search and replace, even searched words can be highighted, you can jump over matched words forward/backward, you can replace them as you want, you can use reguar expressions, you can use search history, etc...
Please correct the description.
Regards: SindbaD

SindbaD:
And one more thing:
Perhaps You don't know some editors: zeus and boxer are shareware editors but seems to be better than most of that you descriped. You should try them.

SindbaD:
I'm again:)
Now I discovered You wrote that VIM has no column mode and hex mode:(
It has both of them!!
Column mode is usable in Visual mode, hex mode also available.
Reading manual is very useful before giving false information...

mouser:
hi sinbad; i'm going to try boxer now; i've tried zeus a while ago for programming and was not satisfied but i haven't used it in a while and i will evaluate it now for text editing. i will report back.

i probably shouldn't have included vim in my original review at all - i understand some keyboard-centric people like it but it is just too unintuitive for me to really consider it seriously. but i thought i should mention it for people who like such things.  reading the built in help is extremely painful, and i couldnt find any hex/column modes.. could you tell me how to use them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version