ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Firewall

agnitum outpost v3 - the horror?

<< < (7/7)

Carol Haynes:
I spent quite a while playing with Netveda but have now returned to the latest version of Outpost which seems to work pretty well as far as I can see. They have now added preset rules for common applications which means a lot fewer interruptions whilst Outpost learns what you allow to access the outside world. The ad blocker seems to coexist with AdMuncher quite happily and is configurable. I still don't trust the Spyware plugin to coexist with Webroot's SpySweeper so at the mo I have disable SpySweeper as the plugin feels less resource hungry - though I am not sure how it compares in effectiveness.

What do other Outpost users do about the Spyware plugin and other Anti-Spyware programs?

As I have posted elsewhere I have had a few memory problems causing BSODs so I am now wondering if I was blaming Outpost for BSODs earlier that had a different cause. I know when version 3 was released lots of people had BSOD problesm - have other people found this to be cured in the latest releases?

mouser:
I've been using it for several months and I'm happy with it.
It's not perfect (i still have an annoying problem using plain old internet explorer, and vmware requires some tricks to make work properly) but it's still the best i've seen, and i still very much like its general design.

so i would definitely recommend outpost as my firewall of choice, BUT i would still highly recommend trying it out for a while before making a purchase, to make sure it's right for you.

i do not use the antispyrware plugins so i cant comment on those - i might start using them at some point, i think it's not a bad idea.

superboyac:
Great!  Very helpful discussion.  THanks.

superboyac:
Ugh, I tried using Outpost again.  What a painful experience.  I don't know what it is, maybe it's interaction with Kaspersky or something, even though I read about how to make them coexist together properly.  Every time I try to use Outpost, it results in nothing but problems...slow internet, webpages not displaying, computer slowing down, computer working too hard, antivirus working too hard.  Geez.  I give up, I don't need this, do I?

Years ago, i used Zone Alarm and even though I got rid of it for the bloat, it's actual firewall functions never gave me any problems.  I'd train it a little in the beginning and that was it.  But then I tried Outpost because it was supposed to be better and lightweight, but it was a headache.  As I got better with computers, I keep trying it again like every year it seems like, and no luck.  I don't even think I need a firewall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version