ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you keep two computers synchronized? i.e. work + home. If so, how?

<< < (9/14) > >>

Darwin:
Thanks, Carol - I'll try the MailStore Home route (I've had it installed in the past). All I am worred about are e-mails, so this should be the perfect solution. I also have X1 Pro, but I don't have a server set up and would like all e-mail to be local. MailStore Home is an attractive idea because if I am reading your post correctly, I shouldn't have too much trouble syncing between multiple comptuers (at the moment I have five of my own plus my wife's work notebook).

Alternatively, I am open to the idea of switching to a different client. I used to love Eudora - it was so easy to take your e-mail and e-mail settings with you.

TomColvin:
This thread speaks to one of my own greatest concerns.  I have some information to add that has not yet been mentioned.

FIRST, I'm evaluating a new facility, still in beta, called Syncplicity, available at www.syncplicity.com.

This open-source facility keeps the core files you designate at an online "cloud" hub.  You can access it from any computer world-wide via your browser.  BUT it also has a desktop-side program which allows you to designate just which files you wish to synchronize.  So far, I've got my laptop and desktop in Mexico sync'd up.  Whenever I changed a file on one computer, the change would ripple up to the online hub and then back down to the second computer.  Worked beautifully.

Now I'm at my other residence half-way around the world.  Of course, I brought my laptop with me -- probably for the very last time since the new US Customs policy of seizing laptops willy-nilly, for no announced reason.

I'm planning on setting up a desktop here too, and introducing Syncplicity.  Once I set it up, I'll be interested to see if all of my "sync'd" folders get automatically downloaded into that new desktop.  I expect it to happen flawlessly.

Assuming my expectations are fulfilled, I'll be one happy computer user.  I've been searching for such a facility for 11 years, ever since I established two residences.

BUT THERE'S MORE:  I read a couple months back that Microsoft has yet another OS in the works, to follow eventually on the heels of Windows 7, which is expected to be out within a year or two.  This new OS has built right into it the facility to maintain core files ONLINE, with synchronized dumps back onto whatever computers one uses.  Fabulous idea.

In fact, I see a subtle movement among many software developers in this direction.  The new iteration of  the free facility EVERNOTE is a prominent example.  Also there are new efforts underway to set up "virtual desktops" which are accessible both online and off, all synchronized.  I've already experimented with one of these that is in very early beta stages of development.  It's promising, but requires very fast internet connections and computers.

I'm beginning to make judgments about which software to buy and install based on similar considerations.  I'm beginning to look very carefully at purchase licenses of software I'm considering for purchase.  Those that allow installation on only one computer will have a difficult time earning my acceptance.  On the other hand, I'll be favorably inclined toward those that allow a single user to install the software on more than one computer, as long as only one is in use at any given time.

justice:
Sounds good, Syncplicity is not open source though? At least I couldn't find it and they've got pricing plans.

Darwin:
I like the sounds of Synplicity as well...

justice, I found this in the faq:

Price
How can you afford to offer Syncplicity for free?
We’re offering Syncplicity for free during our Beta period in order to test out the service and get as much of your valuable feedback as possible. It’s also one of the ways we want to thank you for starting to use Syncplicity early on, putting up with the occasional bug, and helping us build a product that suits your needs exactly. The Beta period will end on July 28th, 2008.

After the beta, Syncplicity will still offer free accounts. Please see our pricing for more information

--- End quote ---

So it looks like we missed the free beta by a good couple of months...

urlwolf:

BUT THERE'S MORE:  I read a couple months back that Microsoft has yet another OS in the works, to follow eventually on the heels of Windows 7, which is expected to be out within a year or two.  This new OS has built right into it the facility to maintain core files ONLINE, with synchronized dumps back onto whatever computers one uses.  Fabulous idea.
-TomColvin (September 26, 2008, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is what I'd expect an OS to do nowadays. A pity that it's M$ who implements it first.
I'm sure it'll be copied.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this should be a core OS thing. I'm also scared that M$ could have control over my files in the cloud though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version