ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you keep two computers synchronized? i.e. work + home. If so, how?

<< < (12/14) > >>

ewemoa:
I wasn't too crazy about DSynchronize the last time I tried it as it didn't seem to handle files with names containing CJK and such [1].  In fact, a fair number of synchronizing utilities didn't seem to do so well on this point (at least many of the ones that I've tried -- I think this includes PathSync, TreeComp, and SyncExp). 

I think a few of the Java-based ones (JFileSync and DirSync Pro [mentioned already as a Linux alternative, but I believe it works under Windows too]) ended up working out for me in this regard but I found that Java-based stuff sometimes adds a bit of complexity to my portable set-up.

I think SyncBack Freeware might have worked ok, but IIRC it wasn't quite portable.

Was trying Toucan, but I think it still feels quite rough around the edges.

Will have to try Synkron -- hadn't seen that one.

[1] Not in the habit of intentionally creating files w/ names that use CJK, but when I create bookmarks when visiting certain pages, it tends to happen...

city_zen:
I use Microsoft Groove 2007 for my local networked computers, but it still keeps them synchronized across the intertubes (laptop when at school, etc.) which is nice when working on an essay or programming something. But it really isn't meant for large scale synchronization.

It has a 2GB folder limit, but you can synchronize as many folders as you want. So it's kind of like having an infinite number of Dropbox accounts, except you can use any folder on your computer, and the data doesn't have to be saved in the same path on each computer. For example, I might want to keep my essays on my computer in a "D:/School/2008/English/102/Essays" directory. But on my wife's laptop, just in the "My Documents/Essays" directory for easy finding.

My only real complaints about Groove are that you can't filter files by anything other than what Microsoft Office determines to be good or bad. And it's all or nothing. Meaning that if you want to update exe files, you have to disable the filter and allow all files in the directory to be shared. It would be great if I could add individual exceptions to each directory as needed.

Other than that Groove is awesome!
-Deozaan (September 17, 2008, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 for Groove (a.k.a. Microsoft Office Groove 2007)

2 free alternatives for file folder syncing
http://www.collaber.com/
http://www.collanos.com/

these are also great for teamwork. They are similar to Groove.

-kartal (September 17, 2008, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

At the risk of being repetitive (I already praised the software in this thread), I think that Collaber may be even better than Groove, for the following reasons:

- It seems it doesn't have the 2 GB per folder limit
- It's not a Microsoft product  :D
- For now (its current status is Release Candidate 1, IIRC) it's free. And all accounts created during the beta period (I'm assuming that RC period is included also) will remain free.
- It's being updated MUCH more frequently than Groove. So new features, like file versioning, are likely to be implemented in coming releases. And, of course, bugs fixed.

Collaber is definitely worth being taken into consideration.

Please note that in all of theses solutions (Groove, Collaber, etc.) your data remains in your computer/s. Their servers are only used temporarily for synchronization purposes. And, at least in the case of Collaber (I haven't checked the other's FAQ), all data is encrypted during transport.

Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape or form related to the Collaber development team

MeMyself:
DirSync Pro 1.0 Final is just released; See: directorysync.sourceforge.net. It is open-ource (free) and i is written in Java and so it could be run on all platforms.

I have been using it for a while and I like it!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: It has a clear user interface and it does just it says: synchronizing. There are no trash-functionality (which you never use) which may make it unneeded complex. It is very fast too!

ewemoa:
Thanks for pointing out the release of DirSync Pro 1.0 -- will have to check it out. 

I like that it has a preview feature :)  However, I found that JFileSync makes it easier to choose not to sync certain individual things after previewing.  May be that kind of thing is already in DirSync Pro and I missed it or perhaps if it isn't there, it will be added eventually.

Shades:
Since I believe that all those companies offering their services for storing your backups/synchronize your files can never be trusted (after all it is my unique data and for them it's just business).

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the off-site backup concept that they offer. I just think that since it is my data, I want to have as much control over it as possible.

While looking for an update for a tool called ExamDiffPro, I saw that the author also has a simple version control system that only requires FTP access. It doesn't require you to setup a CVS, SVN (or any other similar) server, it just requires plain and simple FTP access. With this software you don't need to pay for an extra monthly fee (besides your internet access and own website) to keep your data in your own hands.

For the ones interested, FtpVC
While it is not cheap (50 USD), it is a one time buy. They hand out 20% discounts for students and educators.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version