ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I am looking for system wide proxy changer-configurator

(1/2) > >>

kartal:
I have proxy server on my laptop. Sometimes I need to use wired connection so my proxy server adress changes on other machines. I was wondering if there is an application that lets me toggle between proxy servers on the fly so that I do not need change proxy settings in every application.

Btw please do not suggest things like "google is your friend". Google is not my friend and I am looking for tested applications :)

40hz:
 I use NetSetMan Pro on my laptop. It's not free (€12/$18 US) but it's very reasonable for what it does. There is a free version, but it doesn't handle proxy settings or domains. You can set up as many network profiles as you like and switch activate them at will. Each can be set up totally independently of the others. Perfect tool for road warriors and tech support people who need to keep specific network setups for each of their client's locations. You can even specify a default browser for those benighted locations (i.e. many banks) that require you to use IE. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

http://www.netsetman.com/index.php?s=nsmpro

Btw please do not suggest things like "google is your friend".
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I hear you. That one's right up there with RTFM as far as helpfulness goes. ;D

kartal:
40hz,

that is one nice suggestion post. Thanks for taking time. I will check it out asap.

Just to make sure thou, this will have a proxy profile that I can use to change system wide proxy settings? I can change proxy settings in firefox, rssowl etc manually but it gets tedious to change in all computers and revert back later. I am hoping that the app I am lookign fro wil be able to change proxy settings of the system(if there is such a thing) rather than browser settings only actually.

40hz:
Hope I'm understanding what you're asking.  ;)

You could set up two profiles for your NIC. One uses a proxy, the other doesn't.

Then just set all you applications to use your default (i.e. active in NetSetMan) connection and possibly set proxy to "autodiscover" in the individual application if it so requires. That way, your apps should use the proxy if it's active, and ignore (i.e. not find) it if it's not.

Hope this answers your question.

Chris:
If you are using Internet Explorer look at IEPro http://www.ie7pro.com It enables one to keep a list proxies and one can change proxy very easily. IEPro is free.

Chris
Adelaide
Australia

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version