ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sad Weekend....

<< < (5/5)

J-Mac:
J-Mac: whether such a service will do any good depends on the knowledge of the criminals (or the people they sell the laptop to). I've never touched "hot goods", but I know I'd definitely not start by going online with a stolen laptop. I might snoop through the data, but I'd do that offline (probably creating a mirror of the disk), and then I'd certainly format the system clean.

But I guess your average criminal doesn't think that far?
-f0dder (September 16, 2008, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

In my experience (and, believe me, I do have experience with such cretin!), no, they don't think that far! Either looking to sell it off or scan it for useful booty. And, yes: most will just fire it right up, and who doesn't immediately go online?

Jim

Armando:
I've lost 2 computers in the last 10 years -- same as you : theft, broke in my apartment...After that, I became obsessed with backup etc. It's not fun to loose data. I won't add any advice to what's already been expressed here... All I can say is that I feel your pain.

PS. : Actually, there'S one thing I always do now :  always leave a few lights on when I leave t he house (I know, I know, it's not ecologically that sound, but those aren't powerful lights) + music/radio. I once had a timer to switch music on and off, but not anymore. A friend working for an insurance company told me that music, noise, and lights are probably the best repellents -- complementing good locks, of course...

Codebyte:
I have left the light on to the hallway right outside my room every day now... I even leave it on when I sleep... Im paranoid after that happened. I bring my laptop with me everywhere I go as well, even if its the grocery store. It doesnt leave my sight. As for backup, I'm writing my own utility to do a web backup to my website which is managed by Siteground (www.siteground.com). This seems to be the most efficient way to store things now...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version