ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Magic Jack Phone ?

(1/8) > >>

stansrailpix:
I have seen this device called  MagicJack.  It looks like a big USB drive and they claim it can be used on any computer with a broadband connection.  It costs $40 for the first year, and $19.95 a year after that. When you use it a small panel pops up on the screen, with an ad on the left side.

Has anyone tried this new VOIP service?
                                                              Regards,
                                                                             Stan

J-Mac:
I thought it was a compete scam, but then a cousin of mine told me that he has been using it and it's great. However I can't vouch for it personally.

Jim

Lutz_:
The advertisement style certainly makes it look like a scam.
However it was reviewed positively several times.

My problem is that seems to require running a PC all day and night ?  (wasting tons of energy).
It is possible to plug something similar into the network directly?

J-Mac:
The advertisement style certainly makes it look like a scam.
However it was reviewed positively several times.

My problem is that seems to require running a PC all day and night ?  (wasting tons of energy).
It is possible to plug something similar into the network directly?
-Lutz_ (September 13, 2008, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know, but I do have a PC running around the clock - I have a surveillance camera system that is accessible via the Internet going to/through it. So that wouldn't be an issue here. Actually I think a lot more people have their computers always on nowadays with broadband connections, right or wrong though that may be.

Thanks!

Jim

nite_monkey:
I don't see why the computer would need to run all day. My brother has MagicJack. It's just a little usb device that you plug in to your computer, and then you can make calls. I guess the only reason you would have to leave your computer turned on all the time is if you are stupid and ditch your home phone service to use this instead. I wouldn't recommend using any voip service as your main service, especially if you have suddenlink! suddenlink has problems with randomly being slower then dial-up (BAD for voip), and I also have problems with randomly loosing my internet connection completely. I guess that is the only reason you would need to leave your computer on at all times with this. BUT anyways, like I said, my brother has MagicJack, and he says it works perfectly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version