ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome - What Will It Take

<< < (6/7) > >>

Ehtyar:
I'm posting to begrudgingly credit Google for releasing the source for their Google Updater application which has been one of the primary gripes about using Google Chrome. The build requirements are a bit much, and dissimilar to the requirements to build Chrome, but the source is there for perusal if you're interested.

Ehtyar.

Stoic Joker:
The only other company (i can think of) that uses a fully automatic (forced) update system is AOL. Google needs to have a really good look at that one simple point, learn from AOL's mistake, and then start giving people options.

AOL has managed to repeatedly hose large numbers of their own clientèle by forcing out patches that (Um...) didn't work exactly the same in all environments. I'll wager that it's only a matter of time before Chrome spits out a not quite fully tested patch and manages to flame-out a large portion of their user-base too.

Frankly, I don't give a damn what they do ... I'm still not going to use their browser. I just thought it would be fun to lump them in with AOL. :)

Lutz_:
Most people are probably aware of it, but you can always get a very recent version of Gooogle Chrome from which all the auto-update and call-home-to-mama-google features have been surgically removed. Works great for me and it is my standard browser for the laptop (since the UI is so space saving)- even online banking is no problem.
The tamed chrome version is SRWare Iron:   
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Ehtyar:
I've used Iron from time to time (i think it's mentioned elsewhere in this thread) but frankly, Chrome just...sucks. I'm pleased that Google released the source of the updater, but I'm disappointed that I have one less thing to bitch about :P

Ehtyar.

tranglos:
I'm pleased that Google released the source of the updater, but I'm disappointed that I have one less thing to bitch about :P
-Ehtyar (April 20, 2009, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, why even bother? Google Chrome is ugly like there's no contest, the idea of swapping tabs with the address bar just to be different is annoying (and contributes to the ugly look), it's new enough to be nothing but trouble for two years or so... and Firefox (plus extensions) keep me 100% happy.

...and the kind folks from getfirefox.com should plaster the above on their front page :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version