ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome - What Will It Take

<< < (4/7) > >>

Ehtyar:
Google Updater does use the Windows Scheduler :P IMO, in-program updates (like Firefox) is the only way to go.-Ehtyar (September 13, 2008, 07:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
I thought people said it was always running?

Oh, and to be pedantic: I obviously meant the task scheduler, not the thread scheduler ;)
-f0dder (September 13, 2008, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
It is scheduled to run "when idle", and given how unlikely it is that the thing closes immediately when you return to your PC, that gives the impression that it's constantly running.

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
I didn't know the task scheduler had an "when idle" option, I thought it only had periodic triggers? Shows how much I've used it :P

Deozaan:
I uninstalled Chrome the other day and rebooted. Then when I noticed that Google Update was still running, I looked around for it. I found about 6 copies of Google Update in temp files and in a pagefile (or something related to the pagefile) not to mention Program Files and somewhere else.

Google Update also was never in my Add/Remove Programs list, so I had to search and destroy manually. :down: :down:

wreckedcarzz:
I uninstalled Chrome the other day and rebooted. Then when I noticed that Google Update was still running, I looked around for it. I found about 6 copies of Google Update in temp files and in a pagefile (or something related to the pagefile) not to mention Program Files and somewhere else.

Google Update also was never in my Add/Remove Programs list, so I had to search and destroy manually. :down: :down:
-Deozaan (September 14, 2008, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Strange, I downloaded the first beta, ran it and uninstalled it without a hitch. Odd (un)install process, though.

MrCrispy:
Google apps have a bad habit of installing the google update service, running their updater etc. I don't like the way things are going, just because Google has a catchy "Do no evil" motto is no reason to trust them! In fact they are well known for their refusal to anonymize their users privacy and to keep records for as long as possible so they can be data mined and sold to their advertisers.

On top of it all, I fail to see whats so great about Chrome to begin with. And its another Google app that they will perpetually keep in beta.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version