ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome - What Will It Take

<< < (2/7) > >>

cmpm:
Although I usually don't know what allowed updates are for various programs, including XP, it is polite to let you know.

If it's a beta product then it's beta users using it who need to know the changes I would think.

Hiding what the 'security updates' are what was said for security reasons.
Well then tell me if it's a security update or not?I have to say I don't buy it. They could add anything with a security update and still call it one.

This particular 'note' about Chrome didn't come into play untill the first update. I suspect it was in the program before the update though.
And this is what is annoying.
To spring this on you after you have already downloaded and installed Chrome.

And interesting still is another issue. Google's toolbar for Firefox updated itself automatically recently, with out asking, although it did inform me of the update, it didn't say what it was. And I can't remember agreeing to auto updates for that. I could have though.

And true, I have nothing to hide, but google can't just come in and rearrange my property at it's own will unless I say they can.

I would guess a security update would involve more then changing just the program Chrome but all the files in the OS that make it work.

So I suppose if one wants that kind of updating to have Chrome, then google has control over this browser.

"Users do not get a notification when they are updated...When there are security fixes, it's crucial that we update our users as quickly as possible in order to keep them safe. Thus, it's important for us to not require user intervention," the company said in a statement."There are some security fixes that we'll keep quiet because we don't want to disclose security vulnerabilities to attackers."

The automatic update policy applies to security and bug fixes. "For major version updates, when feature changes are involved, we'll explore options for providing users with more details about the changes," Google said.
--- End quote ---

Apparently this "decision" is going to happen after they are done 'exploring', but as of now it will update at will without notice.
I wonder how long that will continue?

Anyway I like Firefox better. It's better for me for now anyway.

Ehtyar:
Thank you zrilding, your point of view is a sound a cautious one. cmpm, well said again.

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
I don't mind automatic updates, imho a feature like that is the bee's knees, and absolutely necessary.

But silent updates, without a description of what has been fixed/added/changed? Not good. I could personally live with updates being auto-applied, which would probably be a good idea for the millions of not-so-techy users (and would suck for corporations trying to maintain a homogenous install base), but without information this seems pretty darn underhanded.

Also, while I doubt googleupdate is doing anything nefarious, I'm tired of all these applications installing their own updaters, scheduling services, etc. Use the damn built-in windows scheduler, or have update checks in your programs instead of as an always-running service! :mad:

Ehtyar:
Google Updater does use the Windows Scheduler :P IMO, in-program updates (like Firefox) is the only way to go.

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
Google Updater does use the Windows Scheduler :P IMO, in-program updates (like Firefox) is the only way to go.-Ehtyar (September 13, 2008, 07:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
I thought people said it was always running?

Oh, and to be pedantic: I obviously meant the task scheduler, not the thread scheduler ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version