ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New version: Copernic Desktop Search 3

<< < (3/3)

J-Mac:
I couldn't stand WDS3, and I also cannot stand WDS4!

Copernic is out too. I used v2 for a while but then the indexing suddenly lost control. Never could get it to work well again.

I'd consider X1 but I cannot even write them - won't accept my emails. I thought they didn't like me anymore or something but now it appears that it is because they will not recognize my email as valid. (?!?) I'm using Fastmail which uses the ".fm" domain, and I have found others with the same problem.

Jim

saintsatinstain:
This article gives complete info on the older version and what is missing in the new version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copernic_Desktop_Search

Since my main Windows is XP Pro I continue to use Copernic version 2 build 18. 

J-Mac:
This article gives complete info on the older version and what is missing in the new version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copernic_Desktop_Search

Since my main Windows is XP Pro I continue to use Copernic version 2 build 18. 

-saintsatinstain (March 24, 2009, 09:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks fir the link saintsatinstain (or... Mr. Anagram!).

One other feature that Copernic seemed to lose was any control over indexing. Configuring what and when to index used to be fairly compliant, but starting with - I believe - V.2.5, Copernic would index any time it pleased, or so it seemed. I know that it was indexing at times when I had specifically set it to not index. And the indexing could get extremely CPU intensive. I kept knocking down the task priority with Process Tamer but the next restart would have it higher again. It seemed to be able to get around the Process Tamer rules somehow.

Thanks!

Jim

saintsatinstain:

anagram manager, almost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version