ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Older Newsletters

Newsletter For September 11th, 2008 - Codename "Mapping the Members"

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
Newsletter for September 11th, 2008Codename "Mapping the Members"

"If you read nothing else on our site, why bother to read this?"
(new rss feed with images)

1. Newsletter Editorial - Your Participation Requested!

For this newsletter we have a special request.  We're asking for your help in creating something fun. We've installed a map on the DonationCoder.com forum on which members can indicate their geographic location.  You can be as precise or as imprecise as you want, and there's no real practical value to anyone in participating -- but it's proven to be a real thrill to see all the different avatars across the globe, and it enhances the friendly atmosphere and sense of community.  So I hope you will take a minute to check out the new map and plant your pin.  Help us cover the map!

* View the New Member Map (see link at bottom of page to place your pin)

* Discuss new member map mod for the forum
* Lonely posts on the forum?
* Do you have a dcmembers.com page?
* IRLDD Down Under (DC Gathering in Australia?)

2. Monthly Shareware Discounts and Giveaway

Thanks to Carl Thorpe, we have exciting new discounts this month! Click the links below to read more about the software that is available at significant discount to DonationCoder supporting members. We also have a few licences for each title to giveaway this month -  you have until September 20th to enter the drawing. You can take advantage of the discounts until the end of the month.

* September 2008 Discounts
* Online Armor - $15 discount
* PikySuite 30% discount
* All Capture Enterprise 60% discount

3. Help and Advice from Member to Member:

Look no further than the DC forum if you're trying to make a decision about anything software or hardware related. A quick search of the forum might provide you with an answer, but if that doesn't work, post your question using the "New Topic" button at the upper right of the message board index - there's always someone who will drop by to give you a hand!

* 32-bit Windows and the dreaded (and misunderstood) 4GB RAM limit
* How do you manage your email?
* Time to reinstall Windows? Or get a new desktop?
* List of newbie questions regarding software
* Looking for...a wiki?
* Image organizer recommendations?

4. Fun And Games

Donationcoder.com is about coding and other issues related to how technology impacts our lives, but we like to have a our fun, too! Check out the links below for some lighter fare.

* Flash Game of the Week - Shadez: The Black Operations
* Spore: a Codyrific journey
* The NVScene 2008 Demo Competition Entrants - Beautiful Graphics In Tiny Exes
* Flame Warriors
* Blog: Top 10 Amazing Physics Videos (Yeah Mythbusters!)
* 10 Things Your IT Department Won't Tell You

5. The Weird Wide Web

The web is an amazing phenomenon. It's gone from a geeky niche fixation to an indispensible part of most people's lives in little more than a decade and a half. There's more out there than anyone can explore in a dozen lifetimes, so it's always nice to have someone highlight interesting finds. Donationcoder members are active in sharing their discoveries. Here are some highlights from the past couple of weeks (in case you missed them!):

* The Secret Code of Diaries
* Posture in sitting/standing ideas, tips & tricks
* Freshome.com - Home Design Gadgeteer Site: 35 Unique & Creative Sofas
* Hurricane Tracking/Info Website
* Tip of My Tongue
* The Great International Newsletter Project !
* IconArchive - Another Free Icon Website - With Some Nice Section

6. Software Discussion

Chances are you initially found your way to Donationcoder because you were searching for a software solution or for opinions about a software related issue. Software remains a huge part of DC and discussions about various applications and classes of software dominate the boards. Here are some recent postings of interest:

* Looking for a an application that can test my ram
* Font managers reviews and opinions
* What's your favorite USB External Storage Device Manager -- and why?
* Easy remote access to my home pc?
* What's the best image-"framer"?
* Google Chrome -- a new browser coming (in beta) in a few hours
* Google Chrome -- key reasons for its debut
* College Alarm Clock - Freeware Alarm with Different settings for each day
* More Browser Real Estate - Try Prism

7. Mini-Reviews by Members

We LOVE to see members writing objective reviews on DC and here are a couple of recent ones to get your "review writing" juices flowing. Read these for inspiration and write one of your own!

* Game Review: Toribash
* Mini Review - Helicon Filter - photo editor

8. Coding Snacks, DC Software, and Member Contributions

In this section of the newsletter we highlight posts from a number of boards that focus on software created by DC members. If you're new to DC, these boards are a great place to go if you're looking for something to enhance your workflow and you just can't find it. Post a clear and polite request and a DC member might just code it for you.

* Easy Unicode Paster 2.0 Released
* FARR Alias: Send Twitter updates from Farr
* Run program when laptop goes on/off battery?
* New icon for Screenshot Captor?
* How to safely erase content from CH+S's database?
* Year Calendar on a Single Page - Excel-2007 Template
* Cody Cellphone theme for SE 128x160
* Cody Theme for K770,K790,K800,K810,S500,T650,W580,W850&W880
* The most basic screen ruler imaginable
* Very Simple File Copier Windows

9. Developer's Corner

The developer's Corner features everything from in-depth discussions of programming languages to threads dealing with entrepreneurial issues. Despite what you might think, there probably IS something here for you.

* Forum 2.0 Suggestions
* The Storey of the New line character \n\n
* Another learners (web) coding site...
* Nice Blog Essay on Macropayments vs MicroPayments

Thanks to Darwin for his help writing the newsletter!

IainB:
This would not be the same as knowing "which members are located where", but I use ClustrMaps (http://clustrmaps.com/) on the blogs I maintain. It gives a useful and anonymous picture of where in the world the people accessing the blog are located. I guess you could use it on members'-only pages to show anonymously where in the world members are accessing the pages from.

I have a distaste for any organisation or person holding much identification of individuals and the details about them, so ClustrMaps is quite a good compromise - because it is anonymous.

cranioscopical:
Mouser  and Darwin,

Another good job with the newsletter!

Thanks  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
ClustrMaps looks cool.

jamesdoc01:
Thought i had lost my membership. Not been well and first time back on in a while. Great reading. Keep up all the fantastic work guys. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version