ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

Pegasus Mail?

<< < (5/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Why is it a kludge to manage your email efficiently rather than just letting files grow to unmanageable proportions? The whole point of archive is that you can automate it and it makes Outlook run much more efficiently. Plus you haven't got all you email in one big file that could go up in smoke one day!

rand1038:
backup... backup... backup...
If a file is too big to comfortably fit on backup media then it needs to be split up into manageable chunks.  Personally, I wouldn't want more than a couple of redundant backups of my years old mail anyhow.
If Murphy had a computer he would have added a law, "If you don't back it up you will lose it, at the worst possible moment".
* rand1038 been there, done that
I've tried Pegasus mail (I have an account set up on it).  I love the spam filter (can see what it is setup to do very easily and it works very well) and the user interface.  I like a utility to be more functional than pretty and I think Pegasus fits the bill.  I personally had no problem with setup and when I went to the Advanced Options and wondered about the impact of the Winsock setting I easily found the answer in Help > Contents > Options and Preferences Overview > Advanced settings.
I'm trying out the latest version, if it keeps working this well I'll switch over to it.

JavaJones:
It's a "kludge" because it has to be done manually. ;) I have never messed with the Outlook "archive" functionality because I didn't want to lose immediate access to all of my email (yes this is actually important to me - even 6+ year old email). My bad if this function basically does what you're describing but automatically and I can still maintain full, direct access to my old mail.

As for backing up, I certainly keep my email file backed up regularly, and it's not too large to do so. I don't need to keep several old backups of old mail around, I actually want regular access to my old mail which is why I keep it around, that's all. :)

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes:
Actually Archive kicks in automatically - it is just that most users switch it off the first time it pops up.

There is absolutely no reason not to have constant access to all your emails. All you have to do is File > Open PST File and unless you close the file manually it will be loaded with Outlook every time you start the program.

JavaJones:
There is absolutely no reason not to have constant access to all your emails. All you have to do is File > Open PST File and unless you close the file manually it will be loaded with Outlook every time you start the program.
--- End quote ---
Yes, I know that of course. But what exactly does Archive do? I certainly did turn it off first time because when it first asked me was about 5 years ago, well before I was even close to ready to need it. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version