ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

Pegasus Mail?

<< < (4/6) > >>

rjbull:
multiple accounts.
-pmowbray (April 05, 2006, 07:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been using it for a mailing list, with only one e-mail address / user ID.  I found setting up extra ones impenetrably opaque.  The UK magazine Computer Shopper's recent review complained that PMail has "confusing" configurations.

Just set up The Bat! with the same single account, it remains to be seen if it's easier to set up multiple ones.  Multiple accounts seemed easy in the free version of Pimmy.

cyberdiva:
I tried both Pegasus and The Bat! when Mulberry looked as if it wasn't long for this world.  I quickly got rid of The Bat! -- it's really a POP3 client that offers minimal IMAP support, whereas I need a client with excellent IMAP support.  I've kept Pegasus and have been impressed with many of its features, but once Mulberry was resurrected, I stayed with it.  Its IMAP support can't be beat.  I wish I could combine Mulberry's many virtues with Thunderbird's versatility in handling graphics and mis-identified character sets, but if I have to opt for just one program, it's Mulberry.  At least for now.

JavaJones:
I never really gave Pegasus a proper try, but it did put me off a bit at first. As someone looking to migrate from Outlook I guess I'm a hard sell. But it's funny there really has been no freeware/opensource/whatever application made to compete directly with Outlook in terms of the full feature set, with similar layout and functionality, including tasks, calendar, contacts, etc. Thunderbird is much more of a replacement for Outlook Express, and given all of the odd quirks with it I almost feel safer trusting my mail to OE. It's really quite shameful that for example the default profile is prone to spontaneously exploding, or that you must constantly compact your folders manually (at the least hit "OK") or your performance will go into the toilet.

So I say forget about Firefox 2.0, when is *Thunderbird* 2.0 coming? :D In the meantime I thnk I'll take another look at Pegasus as I am getting the itch to move away from Outlook again (worried about my 2GB .pst giving up the ghost!).

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes:
So I say forget about Firefox 2.0, when is *Thunderbird* 2.0 coming? :D In the meantime I thnk I'll take another look at Pegasus as I am getting the itch to move away from Outlook again (worried about my 2GB .pst giving up the ghost!).
-JavaJones (October 15, 2006, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why don't you simply archive some of your Outlook stuff ?

What I have started doing is Archiving by year so that I run an archive session on all messages before 31st December 2001 (or something), and then another to a new Archive file predating 31st December 2002 etc. until all my stuff from last year has been moved off into a set of PST archive files.

If you want permanent access to them you can open them in outlook and you can have all your archives loaded and open all the time so that data is accessible and searchable. If they are loaded when Outlook closes then they will be reopened when you start Outlook.

That way you end up with small manageable PST files and if you don't need to load your emails from 1995 you can speed up Outlook startup considerably by closing the 1995 archive etc.

JavaJones:
True enough, yes. I just don't like dealing with kludges is all. I think my mail client should be able to handle this stuff gracefully. I've been wanting to move away from Outlook for years now so I figure I'll just try to use this as motivation to do so. If it doesn't work out I'll definitely do some pruning. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version