ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft granted patents for PageUp and PageDn keystrokes!

(1/3) > >>

zridling:
As if (U.S.) patents couldn't get anymore pointless, the very idea of applying for such a patent is pretty damn sad. What, the spacebar patent was already taken?

The software giant applied for the patent in 2005, and was granted it on August 19, 2008. US patent number 7,415,666 describes "a method and system in a document viewer for scrolling a substantially exact increment in a document, such as one page, regardless of whether the zoom is such that some, all or one page is currently being viewed".

source: ZDnet

icekin:
Next up: Adobe had patented color, while apple has a trademark on the word pod

Gothi[c]:
Actually, they didn't patent the pgup/pgdown keys.

They patented scrolling up/down in equal amounts, and provided pgup/pgdown keys as example to trigger the functionality.

Equally, outrageous though.  :mad:

Josh:
I guess thats why people should read the article first, eh Gothi[c]? I really don't consider this all that outrageous given that people have placed copyrights on stupider things.

Darwin:
I'm seeking a patent on the sodium-potassium pump. I figure that everyone on earth can either pay me royalites or go into renal distress. Once the money starts rolling in, I'll buy the rights to dialysis and then take over the world.

In the future, you'll look back on this moment in awe and remember that it all started with a dream...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version